Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some of my Ficus Microcarpa

5 posters

Go down

Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Empty Some of my Ficus Microcarpa

Post  Cockroach Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:24 am

Here are some of the Ficus I have picked up in the last 10 months. If you have any ideas for trees or comments please feel free to be as pleasant or critical as you wish, I rarely take offense to anything.F
Flat top ficus
Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Camera14

Sleepy hollow ficus acquired in end of July
Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Camera15

A developing shohin broom style
Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Camera16

My 27 year old ficus- I have had it for three years. When I got it the branches were spindly twigs all over the tree.
Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Camera17

Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Some of my Ficus Microcarpa Empty Re: Some of my Ficus Microcarpa

Post  EpicusMaximus Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:56 pm

nice trees.

I wish I lived in a warm place!

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:37 am

I completely defoliate my ficus twice a year and semi defoliate certain ares to promote growth in others. The warm weather definitely helps. But for the last 3-4 weeks not a drop of rain and scorching heat has caused sun spots on many of the ficus leaves.

My real problem with the warm weather is the ants. Anyone know how to get rid of them. I lay poison traps after laying poison powder but they just never go away. My neighbors on all sides don't care too much for their gardens and as such I have extra work to keep there unwanteds from spilling over.
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am

Even here in Australia im jealous of Taiwanese ficus trees, great work.
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  -keith- Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:52 pm

nice bunch of trees, my only cretique would be on the first one. there is such a nice graceful curve to the trunk until the first upper branch then it just juts out strait. not sure if it can be corrected with any ease,but you asked Wink
-keith-
-keith-

Back to top Go down

Post  bontailo Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 am

Welcome the second Member from Taiwan.
Well, Which city you live? Seems from south ?
My home in Tienwei Chunghua.
Lo
bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am

Hello Bontailo,

I have been reading on here for a few months and decided to join a little while ago. I am in Taichung City, near Dakeng.

Are there any places in Taichung/Chunghua that are good to learn about ficus bonsai or any bonsai? I would love to learn more from classes or people and where to find all I need in Taiwan. I am a foreigner and sometimes struggle to translate the things I am looking for.
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  bontailo Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 am

Hi Cockroach,
We live very close, however you not native in Taiwan. Don't worry about that, All Taiwanese are very friendly for Foreigner.
In my bonsai school had some International students & Lots of international visitor every year.
Well, visit my Blog you will find some knowledge , probably you need.
bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:40 am

-keith- wrote:nice bunch of trees, my only cretique would be on the first one. there is such a nice graceful curve to the trunk until the first upper branch then it just juts out strait. not sure if it can be corrected with any ease,but you asked Wink

Hi Keith,

I see what you mean and fully agree. However, my problem lies in the fact that I am unsure of how to rectify it. If I try to weight the branch to pull the tip down, it will merely pull the straight part down and exaggerate the "kink" leading to the straight branch.
If I try cutting thin wedges in the bottom of the straight branch and allowing the branch to bend at those points I am scared the graceful curve will be lost to shorter angular straight pieces.

Any advice on how to rectify this issue. Also, I am contemplating removing the root growing as an elbow above the main root base. There is also a very straight root on the left I am thinking of getting rid of.Any thoughts and comments about these ideas.
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down