Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch?

5 posters

Go down

When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch? Empty When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch?

Post  Carolee Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm

My larch (Larix laricina) is far too tall for the caliper of trunk and I'd like to make more taper. When is the best time to trunk chop it? Thanks, Carolee
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch? Empty Re: When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch?

Post  yamasuri Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 pm

I think you can go ahead. Is not gonna bleed much.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch? Empty Re: When is the best time to trunk chop a Larch?

Post  Carolee Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 pm

thanks
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 pm

yamasuri wrote:I think you can go ahead. Is not gonna bleed much.

Though I have never performed such a drastic reduction on a Larch I would imagine that doing so this close to senescence would probably be fatal..

Maybe I'm wrong. But I would at least wait until sometime in spring.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:41 am

I clipped mine roughly 4 weeks ago, in order to get some healing in before winter; I removed roughly half of the plant (2 years woth of unlimited growth in full ground). Another got his major haircut last winter, late Feb, removing 80% of all above-ground material. Both of them are fine.

So far I have found Larch to be very tolerant of major trimming. I am however working on very young plants (Up to 5 years of age), in very early stages of development. As trees get older they often are less tolerant. So.. What age are we talking, is it in full ground / training dish / bonsai pot? If it is a more mature tree, I would do it at the last breath of winter, before any major swelling of buds occur, but when the risk of strong frost is out of the air (Unless it is in a tray and you can place it in a cold garden shed).
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:41 am

Most species- hard pruning Autumn [less sap bleeding] or if Winter is harsh wait till early spring when deep frost goes away....that's my experience
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

it depends what is left below the chop really - not much time to form strong growth so i would want a lot of low down branches to remain on the tree stump that remains
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks all, the tree is about 25 years old, and is currently in a short (I call them bulb pots), plastic 12-inch pot, and a little over two feet tall. It has branches low and all is healthy. I want to do a small shohin, and when examining it recently, decided that where the top should be (to be proportional to the nebari), is too straight. After reading all your replies, I'll wait until late February or so to do it. It will be outside this winter, but larches love Maine winters!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down