Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Peter E. on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:38 pm

"Yes, IF you can afford it. The truth & reality is, not everyone can."

I do not have lots of money, but, as i collect my trees, any i do have i spend on pots.
Yes i have some expensive one's ( $150 ) but most are bought on line from the makers at "Their " rates.
Usually $25-$70.

Peter E.
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Poink88 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Peter E. wrote:"Yes, IF you can afford it. The truth & reality is, not everyone can."

I do not have lots of money, but, as i collect my trees, any i do have i spend on pots.
Yes i have some expensive one's ( $150 ) but most are bought on line from the makers at "Their " rates.
Usually $25-$70.
I see lots of good bonsai pot makers in UK with much better rates than here. Problem is, if I buy from there, the shipping cost will eat up any "savings". Honestly, I almost contacted Erin and Bryan Allbright recently. I have a local pot order for $235 (+$35 S&H) while I purchased a Bryan Allbright (slightly smaller through eBay) for $150 (shipped). You had it better there bonsai pot wise IMHO.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Russell Coker on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:try and not mix up Genuine Antique Article philosophies and the silly vintage or the other nonsense so prevalent today.


I don't think anyone here is doing that. Max asked a simple question. He has an eye for nice pots, and wanted to know if this particular pot/potter could be indentified. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of "lesser" pots that I've bought over the years for the simple reason that I liked them - especially if the price was right. The maker/value/cost/rarity obviously doesn't matter to some here, but to others it does. Whatever pot someone selects for their bonsai, as well as when the tree goes into that pot, is their own business. Patina doesn't happen sitting on a shelf for 20 years. For that reason I have plenty of so-so "trees in training" in nice pots.

Last year I went to a club auction about an hour from me. One of the members had several tables stacked with a pot collection they were trying to sell. I had offered to go through the pots and grade/price them for her beforehand. Instead she opted to just put prices on them according to SIZE ONLY, so I went through them and picked out what I wanted. I walked away with about 350$ worth of good, old pots - including pots by Yamaaki - for about 75$. I showed some friends some of the other better pots, and helped BUYERS as I could. When you have nearly identical pots sitting next to each other and one's a piece of mass produced slip mould junk and the other is by a known artist, which would you buy? I'll never forget showing a great pot to a woman who said "Oh, that's nice...", then she picked up a PLASTIC piece of crap and said "Isn't this PRETTY?!?". I just about fell through my own butthole. Moral of the story... Some people you just can't help - no matter how hard you try!

Russell Coker
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Russell,

BUT when you say - eye for nice pots - and - please identify the chop - ??? scratch

Why not just buy the nice pot that you like ?

Why a need to identify the chop before the purchase ?

I agree with you on the as we say on the painting forums - Taste or rather lack of taste.

Still, if I liked a pot shape by one of the internet potters, I would ask to have it done as a vase or bottle or other.
I am not much into having to fill the pot with sand and stick incense, displaying grandpahpah or mumah, on the wall.
As my grandfather did.
If I wanted one of those incredibly eye satisfying glazes, I would also ask that it be applied to a vase or bottle or other and display in the normal European way.

Plastic, is eye irritating most of the time, but serves it's function, and most of the time is not uv resistant.

However as they say - it is x's studio and x will do as x wishes.
Stay well.
Khaimraj

* Until a plant does not show some reason for a Bonsai pot, it's whatever is needed to grow it on.
Apologies, I am 1/4 Chinese and 1/4 Scotch/Scottish and both are known to be so practical as to be cheapo. Laughing

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Poink88 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:BUT when you say - eye for nice pots - and - please identify the chop - ??? scratch

Why not just buy the nice pot that you like ?

Why a need to identify the chop before the purchase ?
Kaimraj,

If I see a potential Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, etc. for cheap (relative)...even if I do not like it, I will buy it if someone can confirm what it is. Same with bonsai pots I think (though to a lesser extent).

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Russell Coker on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

BUT when you say - eye for nice pots - and - please identify the chop - ??? scratch

Why not just buy the nice pot that you like ?

Why a need to identify the chop before the purchase ?


Curiousity, I guess. And anyone can buy any pot they can afford to buy, makes no difference to me one way or the other. We can't (or shouldn't) assume a pot is good just because it has a chop. If the price is a factor, personally I'd want to know who made the pot - if possible - so I can be sure I'm not being ripped off. That's just sound economics, I try not to let how much I like the pot cloud my judgement. You have to understand that I pick up a few pots a year, as my limited spending money allows. I'm not buying for a particular tree, I'm buying what I like- and I like to buy pots by known potters.

Russell Coker
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Russell,

dense me. I may have frightened off the young guy, Max.
Apologies to Max, just chatting with folk I already know.
No harm intended. Embarassed

Dario,

why ????????????????????????? Would you buy an Impressionist's painting, when you could purchase a Dutch Little Master or a Frazetta or a Rossetti or a Burne-jones or some other Pre-Raphaelite. Laughing Twisted Evil
Humbly.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Poink88 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:why ????????????????????????? Would you buy an Impressionist's painting, when you could purchase a Dutch Little Master or a Frazetta or a Rossetti or a Burne-jones or some other Pre-Raphaelite. Laughing Twisted Evil
Because that is MY taste? Wink I just love Van Gogh's work...can't say the same for any other artist. Maybe we are both crazy in the same way! (almost wishful thinking here) Twisted Evil

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  rockm on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:49 pm

If you're buying pots as an art "investment," it might be worthwhile to read about art collecting in general. Although bonsai pots are hardly works of Van Gough, Picasso or whatever, there are some things in the art investment world that might make you think:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigailesman/2012/03/26/ten-expert-tips-for-investing-in-the-art-market/

Probably the sanest piece of advice is at the end:

"My own advice to collectors is this: if you love it, buy it. If you choose well, one day you will be able to sell it for a profit. And if you choose very well, you won’t want to."

rockm
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Poink88 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Just to clarify, I am not a bonsai pot collector, don't have the knowledge or money to do it.

What we are arguing about is "why others shouldn't question those who choose to."

I used to collect knives, and when I see one made in Solingen, Germany, that's enough to make me stop and check it out. If it is made in China or Pakistan, I won't even bother. The point here is that some "reputation" (quality for one) is built by name or region and chop mark may provide that.

Poink88
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  rockm on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:30 pm

"Just to clarify, I am not a bonsai pot collector, don't have the knowledge or money to do it."

No different than most collectors Very Happy I would classify myself as a bonsai pot collector. I discovered I was one only a couple of years ago after I took a closer look inside my storage shed and actually counted the number of pots in there. Some things just sneak up on you.

I bought some because of their makers, most because I liked them and only a few because I actually needed them for a particular tree.

rockm
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Max on Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Sorry guys, it seems like I have to reply once more.
Actually I collect high quality pots. So far I especially collected Peter Krebs pots. And I think I have a very good collection of his pots.
No wonder cause I spent a huge amount of money for that. Recently I decided to also collect very old pots so once more I will spend much money on that. But what I never wanted to collect was usual cheap pots and also usual Tokoname pots. But(!) whenever there is a chance for me to make a bargain, I will of course buy such a pot even if its just for resale. And the pots signature of course indicates whether it is from Tokoname or if it is just cheap quality. So that was my whole intention to this thread and nothing more or less.

Best wishes
Max

Max
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  bumblebee on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 pm

rockm wrote:"Just to clarify, I am not a bonsai pot collector, don't have the knowledge or money to do it."

No different than most collectors Very Happy I would classify myself as a bonsai pot collector. I discovered I was one only a couple of years ago after I took a closer look inside my storage shed and actually counted the number of pots in there. Some things just sneak up on you.

I bought some because of their makers, most because I liked them and only a few because I actually needed them for a particular tree.


I'm afraid I like to do the same. If my funds were unlimited, I'd probably buy more,
but not having a tree for a particular pot has never been a problem for me!
Some pots just seem to want me to but them.

Libby

bumblebee
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Urgent question: Who made this pot?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:52 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum