Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new canadian stones

3 posters

Go down

new canadian stones Empty new canadian stones

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Hi, some new stones we just found in the Kootenays. Let us know what you think of new canadian stones Img_1113

monte

Back to top Go down

new canadian stones Empty Re: new canadian stones

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:02 pm

new canadian stones Img_1114new canadian stones Img_1115

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:04 pm

same stone wet.
new canadian stones Img_1116new canadian stones Img_1117

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Clouds..new canadian stones Img_1118

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:08 pm

tall peak...new canadian stones Img_1210new canadian stones Img_1211

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  monte Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 pm

new canadian stones Img_1212new canadian stones Img_1213new canadian stones Img_1214new canadian stones Img_1215

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm

First off, thanks for taking the time and effort to post.

Certain Types of stones I love seeing elsewhere, beyond my own backyard.Gives me a sense that time and events happened elsewhere in this world but are common to different geographies.

I like the potential of photos 5 and 6

Do you like to display your treasures on daiza's or suiban? I have this thing about dobans but can never find them and suspect quite not be able to afford one. " the sands of time keeps flowing thru the hour glass"... Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  monte Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:55 am

I display my stones by having them standing around the yard and garden, on the bonsai benches, on windowsills & the fireplace mantle, the porch railling...no stands, dobans, not yet. Someday I will try carving some daiza, hopefully soon, I think I have a few stones that would look great in one.

These stones were found right next door to a formation of late Cambrian shales & siltstones but they are obviously metamorhpic & very hard. We were heading up a creekbed to access the shale on a fossil hunting mission but got sidetracked by these stones. We have more too, some really massive ones. It turns out that with a whitewater kayak & a tether rope it's possible to transport large stones a fair distance! Lucky we had planned to paddle the next day.

You have similar stones in your area Dick? Have you experimented with any finishes on them? I like to keep my stones natural but you can see the colour of the first stone when wet is pretty impressive, it's tempting to try some oil or wax or something, any thoughts or suggestions?

mp

monte

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello MONTE _ Our Friend ,
I think also as Mr. Dick Benbow he say : " I like the potential of photo 5 and 6 "...
With your stones , We will distinguish 2 types of stone to use :
_ a formation of late Cambien ( have not fossil ) : use for Viewing - Stones .
_ If have fossil ( usualy rarely ) : This is evidence of ancient organisms and it determine the geological age of the rocks contain keep this fossil ( typically , fossil often found (discovered ) in the soil , rocks sedimentary characteristics ... ) : use the Fossil .
Thank you your share .
Sincerely ,
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm rather in a quandry as to whether to use a product to enhance the finish on a stone or not, So i like your idea to keep them out (for now) in the garden to continue to be exposed to weather and to add to your bonsai enjoyment. (water them the same as your trees)

I have used an english boot wax in the past which made my stones look very nice (my opinion) but got some negative reviews by club members.

I think so much of this back and forth has to do with personal estetics and beliefs and should be an individual's call. After all we found them and see them more than anyone else. What makes us happy with their presentation should prevail.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down