Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing)

5 posters

Go down

Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing) Empty Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing)

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:35 pm

For months, I searched for a more efficient way to fertilize. Since I use Miracle Grow water soluble it just makes sense to do it as I water. I love my Haws watering can but stopping and refilling, mixing 10 times is not my cup of tea. My research pointed me to different products but I decided on Hozon and I am very happy.

http://www.owlyn.com/hozon-siphon-mixer.html?___store=default&gclid=CKXp0fSO0bICFQc4nAodbEAARA

Initially, I installed it by the hose bib before the hose and it did not work. Maybe it is because my hose is 50 feet long w/ 3 feet wand...and it is the coiled type. I moved it at the end of the hose before my watering wand and it worked perfectly. Problem with this is you will need to lug the concentrate solution with you. I use a 3 liter juice container (similar to this http://fresh.amazon.com/product?asin=B000PWNKFU&sim=detail) and just put 12 scoops of fert in it. I just punched a hole on the cover and inserted the hose in. Free, easy to carry & refill, and no spill.

I now plan on doing a more frequent but diluted feeding (maybe feed using 2-3 scoops twice a week)...a change from my every 2 week regimen.

Another thing, with the Hozon installed, my flow was reduced and the watering wand no longer sprayed streams...I could have ordered a smaller head but decide to "fix" what I have by covering every other ring of the nozzle holes (the holes are concentric) by applying crazy glue on it. Worked perfectly.

One thing to watch out for is the siphon hose can get kinked/folded easily, impeding the flow so watch it.

I give this product 2 thumbs up. thumbs up and highly recommended.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing) Empty Re: Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing)

Post  coh Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I've been thinking about trying one of these. I've been using the EZ-FLO system that I posted about earlier in the summer, and it works pretty well. The only problem is that the solution in the container gets diluted over time, so the resulting output gets weaker. This is because the fluid that is used is replaced by water in the container. However, it does put out a consistent amount of fertilizer regardless of the spray intensity, and does not seem to have any impact on the flow rate.

That's what I'm wondering about with the hozon - have you tested the concentration of the output? If so, is it consistent, or does it vary with the flo rate?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing) Empty Re: Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing)

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:59 pm

coh wrote:have you tested the concentration of the output? If so, is it consistent, or does it vary with the flo rate?
I have not but judging how the solution is sucked out of my container...it seems consistent. My flow rate doesn't change, the wand head/rose is not adjustable.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:04 pm

coh wrote:I've been using the EZ-FLO system that I posted about earlier in the summer, and it works pretty well. The only problem is that the solution in the container gets diluted over time, so the resulting output gets weaker. This is because the fluid that is used is replaced by water in the container. However, it does put out a consistent amount of fertilizer regardless of the spray intensity, and does not seem to have any impact on the flow rate.
I am confused. How can it put out consistent amount of fertilizer if the solution get diluted? Question

This is the reason why I stayed away from EZ-FLO.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Sorry, I realize what I wrote wasn't really clear. What I mean is: At a given setting (say 1/2 tsp/gal), the concentration of the output fertilizer solution is accurate, and doesn't vary if I change the flow rate. Some of my plants get watered at a higher flow rate (larger pots, for example) than others (smaller pots). So if I collect a sample of the diluted fertilizer when the flow rate is low, I get the same concentration (TDS or EC) as when the flow rate is high.

That was a concern of mine because I've read reviews of the siphon systems (like Hozon) where it is claimed that the dilution rate depends on the flow of water through the hose.

As to the other issue - yes the concentration of the "stock solution" in the container does decrease over time, but it's pretty gradual. This is not ideal and is one of the reasons I'm looking at the Hozon. Actually, I think EZ-FLO is guilty of some false or at least misleading advertising in that regard.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:16 pm

I've been happy with my the unit I purchased through Lee Valley. It is far sturdier than the plastic construction might suggest.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=65676&cat=2,33134&ap=1
To date I've trusted the the claims that the diluation ratio remains constant [even through water pressure fluctuations], but this thread is making me re-think that position.

I do wish it had a mist setting, for foliar applications.
But, I suppose, even if it had that I'd find something else to pine for...

rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  yorasta Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

Hozon siphon mixer (for fertilizing) 546434_325388507530860_171370951_n use dis Very Happy
yorasta
yorasta

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Poink88 wrote:I give this product 2 thumbs up. thumbs up and highly recommended.

Hi All,

Poink88 - thank u for this recombination, i'm counting on u mate Very Happy and i ordered one for me too, just now.

just wandering why it doesn't work in the first place, is it maybe because the pressure of the water is too low ... ?
do u know what is the pressure there ?

thx
Efi

efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

It has to do with the change in pressure nearer the outlet. I am assuming the hozon inlet & outlet require different pressure to activate the suction mechanism and a long hose will create an equilibrium pressure wise where it is installed. They are very clear about it in their ads anyway so I cannot fault them on that. The suction is very strong, I can feel it when I don't have the fertilizer container connected (when plain watering). Just follow their instruction and it will work...at least for me.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down