Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grey-bark elm ??

5 posters

Go down

grey-bark elm ?? Empty grey-bark elm ??

Post  shane.holcomb Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

I hope these pictures meet the standards. Is this a grey-bark elm ? And yes there is a small rose bush next to it. I am wanting to do an airlayer on this tree come spring. i live in zone 5b. any help and advise will be amazing since most other forums have not given me the time of day.
[img]grey-bark elm ?? 2012-012[/img][img]grey-bark elm ?? 2012-013[/img][img]grey-bark elm ?? 2012-014[/img][img]grey-bark elm ?? 2012-015[/img][img]grey-bark elm ?? 2012-016[/img]

shane.holcomb

Back to top Go down

grey-bark elm ?? Empty Re: grey-bark elm ??

Post  prkulib Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Looks an awful lot like Siberian elm to me. Ulmus pumila I believe
prkulib
prkulib

Back to top Go down

Post  shane.holcomb Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 pm

ill look in to it. thank you

shane.holcomb

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:41 pm

I'd guess Siberian, too. Not ideal for bonsai, but OK. A spring layer would be best in Michigan.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  shane.holcomb Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:45 pm

What would make it not ideal for bonsai ? leaf size ?

shane.holcomb

Back to top Go down

Post  prkulib Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Leaf Size is prettgood on this tree actually, they tend to have sporadic dieback often times. Its difficult to balanve the strength of the tree, if you have weak branches, and let others grow out, the weaker ones tend to die back. They can make nice bonsai, just require a bit more work.
prkulib
prkulib

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 pm

prkulib wrote:Leaf Size is prettgood on this tree actually, they tend to have sporadic dieback often times. Its difficult to balanve the strength of the tree, if you have weak branches, and let others grow out, the weaker ones tend to die back. They can make nice bonsai, just require a bit more work.

This is my experience also.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

grey-bark elm ?? Empty Grey Bark Elm

Post  bonsaisr Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 pm

A dwarfish elm that is running around loose in the northern US is almost sure to be Siberian elm. Good to practice on. Be on the lookout for a usable specimen of American elm. As bonsai, they are not likely to come down with Dutch elm disease.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  shane.holcomb Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:35 am

this is my 1st attempt at bonsai so using this as learning experience will be nice. i'll keep a look out for American Elm. Thank you all again

shane.holcomb

Back to top Go down

Post  shane.holcomb Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 am

once i do the airlayer it will get a little trim off the top ( so i still have some sacrifice branches) and it will go back in the ground for a few years. i was thinking of putting a tile (or better recommendations) under it so i can work on the nebari.

shane.holcomb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down