Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Eye-Poking" Branches?

5 posters

Go down

"Eye-Poking" Branches? Empty "Eye-Poking" Branches?

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi everyone,

This is a small Willow Leaf of mine. I defoliated it last night to get a good look at the branch structure and was giving a thought to one of the "eye-poking" branches. It comes out directly at the viewer. If I recall, those are considered a no-no, right? I was considering shortening the branch to the point of where it's no longer coming toward the viewer.

Here's the tree:
"Eye-Poking" Branches? 00216

When viewing the tree from the side you can see the branch:
"Eye-Poking" Branches? 00414

Should I just not even bother about shortening that branch?

Any other comments about the tree are welcome.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

"Eye-Poking" Branches? Empty Re: "Eye-Poking" Branches?

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 am

Don't bother cutting it Ryan.

The first picture I think is better as front, making the poking branch a side branch. just let it grow longer to catch up with the size of the second branch.

On your selected front(second pic) The nebari has less balance than the first pic.

regards,
jun Smile

PS.
regarding poking branch as a NO NO...is not always true.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 am

jun wrote:Don't bother cutting it Ryan.

The first picture I think is better as front, making the poking branch a side branch. just let it grow longer to catch up with the size of the second branch.

On your selected front(second pic) The nebari has less balance than the first pic.

regards,
jun Smile

PS.
regarding poking branch as a NO NO...is not always true.

Thanks Jun!

The first picture is actually my selected front, the second one is just the view from the side.

It's interesting how you say that poking branches aren't always a no no, I'll keep that in mind.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:33 am

I thought you were referring to the right side second branch on your first pic as the poking branch. If that is not the case then there is no poking branch at all.

If you are referring on the secondary branch of your first branch on the right side. just cut it then. It wont matter as it won't affect your over all design.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:44 am

jun wrote:I thought you were referring to the right side second branch on your first pic as the poking branch. If that is not the case then there is no poking branch at all.

If you are referring on the secondary branch of your first branch on the right side. just cut it then. It wont matter as it won't affect your over all design.

regards,
jun Smile

Thanks again Jun.

I was actually referring to the first branch on the left, which you'll notice comes toward the viewer (this is the side shot).
"Eye-Poking" Branches? Vv11

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 am

If you don't have branches coming to the front it's going to look like a fish backbone. Just keep them short.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:26 am

Russell Coker wrote:
If you don't have branches coming to the front it's going to look like a fish backbone. Just keep them short.

Good point, thanks Russell.

I'm considering removing the two lower smaller branches on the right section of the trunk:
"Eye-Poking" Branches? V11

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am

[quote="Ryan"]Hi everyone,

This is a small Willow Leaf of mine. I defoliated it last night to get a good look at the branch structure and was giving a thought to one of the "eye-poking" branches. It comes out directly at the viewer. If I recall, those are considered a no-no, right? I was considering shortening the branch to the point of where it's no longer coming toward the viewer.

Hi Ryan
Branches comming directly to the viewer....or better in a light angle, is not a no-no....It is just considered pretty, if the viewer can enjoy the low part of the trunk a while, before it dissapears into the crown.

Have you thought about making a layering on the trunk, right above the ugly scar, ower the lowest branch....this scar will stay forever....I am sure a another tree, can be made out of the rest, if it is placed in a slightly diffrent angle.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:
Hi Ryan
Branches comming directly to the viewer....or better in a light angle, is not a no-no....It is just considered pretty, if the viewer can enjoy the low part of the trunk a while, before it dissapears into the crown.

Have you thought about making a layering on the trunk, right above the ugly scar, ower the lowest branch....this scar will stay forever....I am sure a another tree, can be made out of the rest, if it is placed in a slightly diffrent angle.

Kind regards Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne. I have not thought about layering, and it doesn't really interest me. I know the scar will stay, but I'm pretty fine with it. The tree as a whole fits better than two smaller trees, in my opinion.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:20 pm

jun wrote:regarding poking branch as a NO NO...is not always true.
Actually, there is a fine line between it and the "open arm"/"embrace" that is ideal. You can easily modify that branch to convey the later.

I also remember Noelanders (w/ Ryan Neil) using the strip tease analogy...it is nice to keep something a bit covered (trunk or branch with foliage in our case). Twisted Evil

About the scar, it can be erased with little work and some time. Brush (copper) or scrape the area to expose the green, over trim the bulge a bit for ramp/transition effect (w/ sharp exacto knife if possible) then let it grow. You might have to do it twice to get the desired result.

Last edited by Poink88 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:22 pm

When I think of eye pokers, I think of branches centered on the trunk coming right at you.. The way that branch goes out to the side, then comes forward looks fine, natural. Just a little wire, and maybe loose the twig growing back toward the trunk....

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 am

I agree with Judy, that branch is not an eye poker. That first branch does just what it is supposed to do - starts out sideways and then moves forward.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum