Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privet from a hedge

+8
Orion
JudyB
Rick36
Sakaki
Andre Beaurain
Poink88
chris
Smithy
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Privet from a hedge - Page 2 Empty Re: Privet from a hedge

Post  Poink88 Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 pm

marcus watts wrote:many real trees show great age and character with reverse taper - many people with their heads stuck in the rule books can not cope with such imperfections - all bonsai do not have to fit into the mould to be good - some become greater because they are unique...
Marcus,
First they are not rules...just guidelines but they are there because they make sense. If you want to, you can go the other way, just know what you are doing. The other side of the coin, some think or portray they are being "artistic and different" when they just plainly do not know what they are doing (not saying this is the case with Smithy).

It is about invoked feeling and proportion based on real big old trees. Sure there are reverse taper in real old trees and I've seen tons of them growing in a tropical mountain area, but if you take this plant and imagine it being 25 feet or 50 feet tall...how big is the inverse taper? Have you seen anything like that in a big tree? In a small stunted plant, yes, because growth can happen in an area fast...but not in a really massive tree.

As I said, if Smithy is happy with it, that's all that matters...it is his tree after all.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:15 pm

The thing is with my tree is i don't really see it is as inverse taper as i see all around the tree and its a bulge in one place and not all the way around.

Here is a local tree by me.

Privet from a hedge - Page 2 0142
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Smithy,

For me, this tree is not "natural". It obviously was trimmed/pruned numerous times at that bulge point thus creating it. If you go out in the jungles and mountains, you will not see the same prune area...damage is usually in different areas if they are existent.

I am sorry, I did not intend to argue...just got myself sucked into it (as usual). Embarassed
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:41 pm

You love it Dario, you should be a moderator Laughing
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:47 pm

Smithy wrote:You love it Dario, you should be a moderator Laughing
Sorry, I have to disagree. I am in the middle of everything (and can get emotionally involved) that I will make the worst moderator. Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:45 pm

To me, your hedge tree is not as severe as the natural tree you posted a pic of, simply because the form stays thick, and doesn't waist in above the thickened part... It looks natural to me, and I've seen trees just like it. It makes it unique, and interesting to look at.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  badger5149 Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Beautiful, I had my 40 year old privet vandalized and up rooted last year. I still can't get over it. I love your tree!!

badger5149

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2