Hornbeam infection.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hornbeam infection.

Post  Jack Carrack on Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Any thoughts on what I'm assuming is a fungal infection on this Hornbeam? This tree is still in the ground but I'm hoping to collect it in the spring.
The deadwood is due to a trunk chop, and I don't think the dieback has been caused by the infection. Growth appears healthy onthe tree, although there was some dead minor branches coming off the trunk. Here is a link, thank you.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59280861@N06/7982523828

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Re: Hornbeam infection.

Post  JimLewis on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:00 pm

VERY hard to tell. My guess would be that something, sometime, damaged the bark badly and since there was no one there to smooth out the ragged edges, a fungus got started.

You are not going to "cure" that damaged spot, so unless you see something really special in the tree, I'd reconsider collecting.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm

JimLewis wrote:You are not going to "cure" that damaged spot, so unless you see something really special in the tree, I'd reconsider collecting.
Since the entire tree is not shown hard to tell but natural deadwood can be used as a "design feature or opportunity" so I won't pass on it just like that.

Fungus is part of nature...it may not be harming this tree any at all.

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Carrack on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks. I guess I'll keep looking for other material then.

Jack Carrack

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum