Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Ficus natalensis

+2
Russell Coker
Ryan
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 Empty Re: Big Ficus natalensis

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:38 am

Trees that are suffering from too wet soil will drop leaves and at the same time put out new growth. Quit watering and wait for the leaves to look wilted to start again, when you do water make sure all the soil gets wet and then let it dry, growing indoors can be hard, I suppose.
Well kill many more plants in containers with too much water rather than with too little.
Talking to a friend yesterday he said he an automatic system and a tree lost its emitter, he didn't notice for two weeks and he thought the tree was dead, but he started watering it and it is coming back.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Trees that are suffering from too wet soil will drop leaves and at the same time put out new growth. Quit watering and wait for the leaves to look wilted to start again, when you do water make sure all the soil gets wet and then let it dry, growing indoors can be hard, I suppose.
Well kill many more plants in containers with too much water rather than with too little.
Talking to a friend yesterday he said he an automatic system and a tree lost its emitter, he didn't notice for two weeks and he thought the tree was dead, but he started watering it and it is coming back.

Thanks Billy, that's what I thought. I've been told these come from a drier climate, so I'll definitely let it dry out more between waterings.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Oh look, I found some wooly aphids, which is odd, as I've never had wooly aphids...Rolling Eyes

Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 00114
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 00217

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:36 am

On the bright side, it is backbudding down where I removed the branches a few weeks ago:
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 00316

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am

Nice tree Ryan

I'm with Russell on the ideal grow-pot but there is another option.
The only thing this tree does not have is good nebari, what I do is remove all roots directly under the trunk and place the tree directly onto a plastic disc cut to about the size of the top of the previous pot, then plant it in a deep grow-pot that has a diameter just slightly bigger than the disc so that the roots have to go sideways before going down.
This works very well.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks Justin, good idea. I'll probably do that come repot time.

This one is still dropping leaves here and there, but still pushing a good amount of new growth, so I'm not too concerned.
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 01611
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 00916
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 01210

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:37 pm

The new bottom growth is coming in strongly, but I don't think it's needed. I'm just using it to allow the tree to regain its health before switching over to a Metal Halide light.
Big Ficus natalensis - Page 2 00219

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2