Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 hours with a scalpel !

+6
marcus watts
will baddeley
abcd
Peter Adams
Poink88
Mr Miyagi
10 posters

Go down

12 hours with a scalpel ! Empty 12 hours with a scalpel !

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 am

Hi all,
After completing the carving work, my friend John spent 12 hours with a scalpel adding deep grain. Wood hardener will be added to some very fine sections but most of the deadwood will be left until next year when it will be burnt and wire brushed. Maybe then the rest will be hardened. Just got to grow some branches now!
Embarassed Very Happy

12 hours with a scalpel ! 115

12 hours with a scalpel ! 216

12 hours with a scalpel ! 315

12 hours with a scalpel ! 414
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

12 hours with a scalpel ! Empty Re: 12 hours with a scalpel !

Post  Mr Miyagi Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Forgot to say it is an Elderberry (Sambucus Nigra)
Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:14 pm

Huge improvement! Thanks for sharing. cheers
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

12 hours with a scalpel ! Empty 12 hours with a scalpel

Post  Peter Adams Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi,

Some of the most convincing detailed work in carving I have seen. The texture is entirely believable. Offer my hearty congrats!

Best wishes,
Peter Adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:27 pm

It's an evidence that the carving work done by hand are much more beautiful than machine made
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr Miyagi Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Thank you Dario, Peter and ‘abcd’, In a year or so after a burn and a brush I am hoping that it’ll look like we never touched it. Most of the credit should go to my friend John though as I only showed him the technique, while he put in the hours. The graining and blending is achieved by making thousands of tiny cuts using a scalpel at 90 and slowly moving down the tree whilst creating movement. Then going back over the same path at around 45. This leaves the wood very fuzzy but as this only works on dried out wood, it is removed easily with a wire brush. Not only does the artificial grain give the deadwood great movement but the deep cuts allow water in and help with the rotting process, which will be encouraged for the next year or so.
Thanks again Sam

Mr Miyagi
Mr Miyagi

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Interesting technique there Sam. Looks like a good way of improving and removing power tool marks. What about going across the grain?
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:34 am

Nice detailed work Sam.

...But Just an observation with some matured old carving works. too much details sometimes tends to look unnatural eventually when the time comes that the dead wood developed the natural lines and cracks caused by the splitting of the natural grains of wood. and if not done wisely some of the lines will go across with the grains as Will said.

Still your detailed works looks nice, but IMHO the technique like this would be much useful if done when the time that the grains starts to split and the deadwood matures.

Just asking?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:12 am

i have been using the exact same scalpel on the slanting juniper - but i must admit now i let the wood start to crack by itself and use the scalpel tip to widen and open up random parts. (As a first attempt i did an area of smooth wood but it looked wrong because all the work was completely equal and even). The bits already done by nature had splits and cracks deep shallow, wide and very fine, so now i leave the scalpel poked in the pot and just work a few lines each time i go past.
letting nature make the first split gives so many curved and circular shapes and patterns from old branches and growth patterns within the trunk too - yet i think most of us doing a man made version end up with lots of straight lines. This is a great technique and beautifully done here - in time it will only need a minor re carve in areas that have gone against the natural grain.

the frosty days add so much to aging - you can really speed up the cracking in winter if the wood is wet / dry/ wet / dry etc - i spray deadwood with water so it turns to ice and expands in the cracks at night, then let it dry - the wood shrinks and the cracks open. Wet the trunk again and repeat as many times as you can remember. ...............you can do it in summer too - i'll take a few pictures Wink

nice to see, thanks - interesting tree too, something a bit different Very Happy

Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  paper_boy Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 am

Great work! Thanks for sharing. Maybe one day...

paper_boy

Back to top Go down

12 hours with a scalpel ! Empty dead wood on deciduous tree

Post  abcd Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:20 pm

The problem is : dead wood on deciduous trees is not eternal, on elderberry ( soft wood) ?
If you do not perform a work to harden the dead wood ( with special resin ) , it will not last long .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Vega77 Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Excellent work there guys.

Thanks for sharing and providing some inspiration to us beginners.

Vega77

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 pm

abcd wrote:The problem is : dead wood on deciduous trees is not eternal, on elderberry ( soft wood) ?
If you do not perform a work to harden the dead wood ( with special resin ) , it will not last long .
Nothing in this world is eternal. Just like flowers, we can enjoy it for a fleeting moment though. Wink If we can prolong enjoying it, then by all means yes.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:29 pm

abcd wrote:The problem is : dead wood on deciduous trees is not eternal, on elderberry ( soft wood) ?

Resin or wood hardener always leaves an artificial appearance, often a noticeable sheen. Try using linseed, teak or walnut oil - this prevents deterioration of the wood while still allowing the natural 'breathing' which creates the splits and cracks that indicate true age. It also slightly darkens the wood which, again, is a natural event on deciduous deadwood under normal conditions.

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:15 pm

What a great idea Marcus, wetting and let freeze water on deadwood to accelerate the process. Very well thought out! Wink
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down