Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repairing/Saving Broken Branch?

+7
marcus watts
JudyB
Tom
Billy M. Rhodes
coh
Poink88
AboveBeyond
11 posters

Go down

Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Empty Repairing/Saving Broken Branch?

Post  AboveBeyond Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 pm

I just got a Katsura Maple shipped to me and it has some broken branches. How do I go about saving them? Can I just wire them until the branches are healed?

The main apex branch:
Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Katsur10

The secondary apex branch on the right (with the main apex branch on the left)
Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Katsur11

AboveBeyond

Back to top Go down

Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Empty Re: Repairing/Saving Broken Branch?

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm

Can't see the pics right now but you can also go back to the vendor & shipping company for the damage.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I've had limited success repairing cracked branches, and these look pretty bad (especially the main apex branch). Plus you don't really know how long they've been broken (and drying out). I would definitely contact the vendor about this.

My approach would be to put the branch back into place, wrap it tightly with something like parafilm, then wire over that to hold it secure. I don't think it will work in this case, though - most likely you'll have to start new branches. Are these essential to the design or would you have wound up removing them anyway?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I have used gorilla glue with great success. It dries quickly, you could use wire to hold while the glue sets. The branch will always be weak at that point and will need care n wiring, if it is wired at all. But, I have some trees that have been repaired (mostly tropicals) and you can't tell.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 pm

On repair of broken branch...I prefer to splint than wire. If you do wire...do not attempt to unwind the wire later, make sure you just snip them off.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

Poink88 wrote:On repair of broken branch...I prefer to splint than wire. If you do wire...do not attempt to unwind the wire later, make sure you just snip them off.

As a general rule you should never try to unwind wire, that is a good way to break a branch, that is wire cutters are made for.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:48 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:As a general rule you should never try to unwind wire, that is a good way to break a branch, that is wire cutters are made for.
I know but it is specially important in this case. I for one try to retrieve my wires to be re-used by unwinding (yes I am frugal) when possible.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:22 pm

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but based on the pictures I think you've got zero chance of saving these, they're too badly damaged. Those aren't just cracked, they're practically broken off. Sad
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:31 pm

I've saved branches with just some elmers and a splint before, but nothing this badly damaged. You should give it a shot, what do you have to loose? You should for sure contact the vendor... Was it packaged well?

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 am

hi,

I believe they are both a no - snapped too far through, dried out and not enough undamaged cambium to support the branch. Cut them off, recut all the ugly other pruning cuts and put sealer on everything - new buds will pop and you can grow a new top easily enough

If you want to try begin by glueing the branch with super glue so the wood fibres are 'repaired', then wrap the joint in raffia or tape - use a splint and cable ties to support it. There is a commercial japanese branch glue available - it may be better than superglue if it is fully weatherproof but i've not used it.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:53 pm

Seeing the pics, I believe the first one is a definite goner. The 2nd may be salvageable but IMHO, not worth it. Just re-grow as Marcus said.

I would definitely contact the vendor and complain...probably ask for some money back...or return the tree if the form is totally messed up but I don't think this is the case for this tree. Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  AboveBeyond Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Here's an update after I super glued the branches!

Here's the branches after using super glue. The left branch is the true apex branch but it's almost certainly dead (all leaves on the branch are dead). However, the right branch seems fine so far with leaves in good health.
Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Katsur12

Full view of the tree. You can see that the leaves of the apex branch are dying, so most likely that branch is gone. The good news is that there is a small branch growing out of the same node. It'll take awhile, but I'll grow out that one as the new apex branch.
Repairing/Saving Broken Branch? Katsur13

AboveBeyond

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Looks like you have plenty of choices for branching up there anyway. And your apex will be faster than the rest of the tree, so it won't take long.

I am wondering if the seller or the carrier was the issue here, as I like to steer away from things exactly like this...
Would be good to know if you would fill us in.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:53 am

Y'know what? You would be in your rights to claim a full refund, and the vendor will have to haggle with the shipper every whose fault it was (been there and done that on both sides of the fence!).

BUT...

Its a great trunk with pretty darn good nebari, so is it worth NOT having the tree? You'll be cutting the branches way back, presumably, so you can shape younger growth while it's still flexible with wire and pruning? So why not send that development time growing a new and better apical branch? There are other options that might be much better in the long term. The pruning at the top of the trunk is brutally ugly, so you'd have to do some serious shaping of trunk line there anyway - might as well do it somewhere else instead. Think seven, eight, nine years from now.... And it will be all your own work.

Consider fate having done you a favor here. Very Happy

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:45 am

looks familiar, is this an Ebay tree?

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:49 am

I agree with Treedwarfer's stoic long term assessment. Sure, it's a crime and a shame, but a usable trunk & strong nebari "in the hand" are of themselves worth plenty.

That said, you're well advised to bring this to the vendor's attention, even if you intend to soak up the karma & keep the tree. This is not just about making noise --- if they are a reputable seller, they will WANT to know about the problem toward addressing it. They may, going forward, change their packing methods or even their carrier of choice. AND, if they are any kind of class act at all, offer you some token by way of recompense (free shipping on you next purchase?).
If instead they give you grief and/or indifference, do ME a favour and publish the company's name here (assuming that's allowed on this forum) so I can avoid doing business with someone who doesn't care about the trees they sell.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:20 am

Agree with rps. Can we have name? Thnx
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down