Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My willow(s)

5 posters

Go down

My willow(s) Empty My willow(s)

Post  EpicusMaximus Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

I live in a new neighbourhood and there is a gorgeous willow across the street (probably 15-20 years old) on an undeveloped lot. My feeling is that by next spring it will be torn down. So, after hearing that willows were easy to root I went out and got some fresh cuttings off the tree. I'm new to this and ended up with about 5-6 cuttings so I tried to make them root in different mediums to see what would work best. Here are a few of them and how they are doing.

I put this small cutting in vermiculite which I water every day, it's been kept indoors and receives indirect sunlight as well as light from a 6500k CFL. It's been about 10 days and I can tell it has rooted because the cutting feels anchored in. It's also started producing new growth. It was taken from a fresh young green branch growing off the base of the tree.

My willow(s) Verm_110

My willow(s) Verm_210

My willow(s) Verm_310

My willow(s) Verm_410

My willow(s) Verm_510

I also had 3 thinner cuttings that I decided to put directly in water. They have been sitting outside on the side of the house in a simple plastic water bottle. After 10 days this is how they are doing. I actually am using too much water so when/if I pot them, I'll have to remove some of the lower portion that rooted.

My willow(s) Pot10

My willow(s) Pot_110

My willow(s) Pot_210

My willow(s) Pot_310

I also have a larger cutting that's been in a mix of potting soil, vermiculite and perlite outside. I believe it has also rooted because it feels anchored to the soil. However, it is not displaying the same signs as the cuttings I've posted above. I'll post pics eventually, it was too rainy last night.

And finally, since everything seemed to be going so well, I decided to go back to the tree for an even larger cutting. It's only been in water for 2-3 days now and I look forward to seeing how it develops. This is it:

My willow(s) Big10

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

My willow(s) Empty Re: My willow(s)

Post  cbobgo Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 pm

You should still get permission from the owner of the property before taking cuttings, even if it is undeveloped and likely to be torn down.

You could root even larger cuttings. Try getting a chunk of branch that's 2-3 inches in diameter and already barking up. That will get you well on you way much faster.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:41 pm

cbobgo wrote:You should still get permission from the owner of the property before taking cuttings, even if it is undeveloped and likely to be torn down.

You could root even larger cuttings. Try getting a chunk of branch that's 2-3 inches in diameter and already barking up. That will get you well on you way much faster.

- bob

yes, thats good advice, even thicker will work without probs...but then you need to find suitable cuttings (with preferably chopped of branches at the top, rather than a naked pole).

The cutting we see here will never thicken enough, if held in a container, that is without ever replanting it into soil/ground for 3 to 5 years of vigourous growth

Back to top Go down

Post  JustLikeAmmy Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:43 pm

I want one! Maybe I'll start one from a seed, I've been looking for an appealing species for a bit now...

I'm so happy you've already seen new growth indoors from an outside cutting with it, too! That's so reassuring, I'm definitely going to check out a place to get some seeds. Thanks for posting Smile

P.s. I love how minimal-istic it is for such a giant whopping stereotyped tree, even though it's just a little cutting Smile
JustLikeAmmy
JustLikeAmmy

Back to top Go down

My willow(s) Empty 1 week later

Post  EpicusMaximus Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:21 am

Here is an update from today. It's grown a lot in a week.

It's still in 100% vermiculite. In about 2 weeks I will re-pot it in bonsai soil.

My willow(s) Septem10

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  EpicusMaximus Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 pm

here is another update. Another week has passed and the tree is doing good.

My willow(s) Img_1010

My willow(s) Img_1011

I will post pictures of the larger "tree" once it's been potted.

EpicusMaximus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:09 pm

IMO, I'd take the wire (string?) off the branch(es). It won't do too good to try to train those young branches to grow downward, and from what I've seen it's difficult to create an actual "weeping" willow. They have strong tendencies to grow upward and it takes a considerable amount of effort to keep the branches in a downward position.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

My willow(s) Empty My Willow

Post  bonsaisr Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:41 am

Sorry to disappoint you. Sad Do you know what species of willow it is? Most willows are poor candidates for bonsai. They are short lived and prone to dieback & rotting. They are fun to practice on, but I suggest you devote the same effort to a more worthwhile species. You will get better results in the end. It's too late this year, but next spring look for a Japanese maple in somebody's garden. That is worth taking cuttings of.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down