Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot

4 posters

Go down

how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot Empty how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot

Post  ADO Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 am

Hi everyone.

its early spring here in West Oz and I have just recently repotted two shimpaku in training pots. they were in pretty fine and organic mix and were also rootbound. I teased out the roots a little and raked away some of the old soil from under the root ball. I then put them in a coarse mix of coarse sand and some coarse pine bark.
How long before I can begin working on them again - ie wiring, pruning etc.? at the moment they are in shade and being misted frequently.
I was thinking about giving them a month or two before wiring.

help appreciated.

ADO

Back to top Go down

how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot Empty Re: how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:55 pm

I would wait until you see active new growth on you junipers. I have tried to repot and prune and shape and have lost trees that way. In my experience you can repot or prune and wire but not at the same time. Best of luck!
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot Empty Re: how soon to work on juniper Shimpaku after repot

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I agree. Wait at least as long until you see vigor at the branch tips and let the branch tips grow into cords. I would probably wait until next year unless you get this type of growth.

Then you know it is strong.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  ADO Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 am

Hi,

thanks for that advice. sounds sensible to me. just have to get some more stock to work on whilst the junipers recover.

cheers

Adrian

ADO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down