Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the "pro's" do it.

4 posters

Go down

How the "pro's" do it. Empty How the "pro's" do it.

Post  Harleyrider Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I found this is our local free rag this week. Considering recent discussions on bonsai related hernias, I thought it quite appropriate.
Sorry about the quality of the image.

How the "pro's" do it. Cycadr12
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

How the "pro's" do it. Empty Re: How the "pro's" do it.

Post  Smithy Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:13 am

How to do things properly , no wonder i have a hernia Smile
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:43 am

That cycad tree looks distinctly like Cycas revoluta - Sago Palm. One that we have discussed before for use in bonsai.

A side note, as we currently have a thread that is featuring many of our beloved canines. Keep dogs and children away from all Cycads as plants of this genus contain cycasin and a compound called neocycasin. Both are cyanogenic glycosides, which means they consist of a sugar molecule bound to another molecule that contains a cyanide group. When these toxins are ingested, enzymes in your body break them down, releasing the cyanide. It's not unknown for dogs to chew the roots and the colourful seeds could attract children to play with them or eat them.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:That cycad tree looks distinctly like Cycas revoluta - Sago Palm. One that we have discussed before for use in bonsai.

Funny I was just thinking that it didn't look like the Sago. I have several dozen Sagos and they seem to have a more refined leaf then this. There are several cycads the look very similar, I have some dioon and zamia as well and most folks call them sago as well when they see them.

I think the Sago is the best of the bunch for pot culture and its long history back to Japan makes it a great addition to your bonsai collection.
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down