Chamaecyparis obtusa (nana) - stying options

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chamaecyparis obtusa (nana) - stying options

Post  Jennyreyn on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:58 pm

I bought this little tree 7 years ago from a local garden centre as a dwarf variety for rockeries etc. I have pruned and trimed it but was undecided on the best style for it as a small bonsai, its about 6 inches from the pot to the top of the tree. I initially thought semi cascade but now incline to an upright style. Any suggestions please? Idea
This is the current back

Front

Close up of root

Jennyreyn

Back to top Go down

Re: Chamaecyparis obtusa (nana) - stying options

Post  Orion on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 pm

That's really cool looking!

With the exposed roots it would work well over, perhaps, a stone. I would think about bringing the primary branch down lower; I thought your idea of a semi-cascade would work nice with this one.

Thanks for sharing.

Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Great tree!

I think picture 2 is the front, because of the roots and the general movement.

Here is one possibility (of many).

I suspect the roots are too large and well formed to use for any realistic root-over-rock. To do those well, you pretty much have to have done it from infancy.

Last edited by JimLewis on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add comments)

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jennyreyn on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks Jim - pic 2 is the front (not sure if the titles were supposed to be above or below the relavant picture)
I never thought of taking the top off, which is not like me as that is generally my first thought, certainly on deciduous trees but it just might work here too

Thanks Orion - that bottom branch has been wired down many times but really does not want to stay put.

Any other thoughts?

Jennyreyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Well, instead of wiring you use a tie down around the pot...it'll look like hell, but they do work. The reason I'm saying this is to try and separate out those two large branches on the left because they are really competing and growing into each other.

Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum