best yamadori source?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

best yamadori source?

Post  stagz on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 am

so finding good material has been a very daunting task lately and i can find anything i like. do you guys recommend any websites, overseas etc where you have had luck buying good quality yamadori, field grown, etc. ive done a bit of reading about importing from japan and it seems like a pretty big ordeal. or is it? just wondering where you guys have had the best luck with quality material. im willing to make investments

stagz

Back to top Go down

Re: best yamadori source?

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 am

Depending on what you are looking for...check Randy Knight (Oregon Bonsai). I think you can find him through BonsaiMirai. He supplies Ryan Neil.

Check here http://www.bonsaimirai.com/about/references-and-resources/oregon-bonsai/

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 am

stagz wrote:ive done a bit of reading about importing from japan and it seems like a pretty big ordeal. or is it? just wondering where you guys have had the best luck with quality material. im willing to make investments

I spoke at leangth with a local Bonsai Nursery owner earlier this summer who has just finished setting up for overseas import and I can't begin to tell you about, not only the legal, but considerable financial obligation as well as waiting periods and oversees contacts that one must get in place in order to import into the USA. Its insane!

We are lucky to have anyone in the USA importing from oversees and should thank them whenever we can for all the trouble they go through to get good stuff for us to play with!

-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  rps on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:11 am

Depending on the species that interest you (and your hardiness zone will support), Andy Smith sells legally and ethically acquired yamadori --- and is working within the continental United States
http://www.goldenarrowbonsai.com/goldenarrowbonsai.com/Home.html
That said, I've never done business with the man (thanks mainly to the hassles imposed on moving flora across the 49th parallel), so can't provide firsthand endorsement. Also, one upside to our cruel winters and harsh environment are the many fine specimens (tamarack, thuja, jack pine) dotting the Cambrian shield and local bogs.

rps

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:19 am

Not Yamadori, but if you head to the bottom of this page: http://evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm you will find some massive cork bark chinese elms that are trunk-finished.

- bob

cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 am

cbobgo wrote:Not Yamadori, but if you head to the bottom of this page: http://evergreengardenworks.com/specimendec.htm you will find some massive cork bark chinese elms that are trunk-finished.

I'm in love! tongue

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:48 am

Treedwarfer wrote:I'm in love! tongue
Me too. Been watching 2 of those Seiju elms since last week...but cannot afford it so I'll just keep on dreaming. Smile

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:56 am

Poink88 wrote:
Me too. Been watching 2 of those Seiju elms since last week...but cannot afford it so I'll just keep on dreaming. Smile

Wanna go halves? Wink

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:49 am

Nature's Way Nursery in Harrisburg, Pa has the largest offer of good collected material in the East. They carry around 400 trees presently which all come from the Rocky Mountains. These trees are established and ready to work on immediately. Prices start from around 100.

Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:21 am

Thax for sharing Walter. I'm quite happy I live thousands KM away.....hehe.. and my wife is for sure more happy then I am Very Happy Seriously Outstanding material!!

yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks Walter.

Do they have an online catalog and sell online/ship?

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:17 pm

hint: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=natures+way+nursery

http://www.natureswaybonsai.com/info.htm#top
If you are interested in any of the plant materials on the pages, they must either be picked up in person, or arrangements can be made to rendezvous with you at one of the many shows we do throughout the country. A complete schedule of the shows we will be involved with can be found on the Schedule page.

All other items can be sent via UPS or Fed Ex. The shipping cost will be added to the cost of the item. We try to ship the next business day following your order. If you are interested in an item, but wish to pay by check please call by phone (717)-545-4555 or e-mail us and we will hold the item for up to 7 business days while we wait for payment. Please call prior to sending payment because shipping cost will need to be added in order to keep from delaying shipment. Pennsylvania residents must also include 6% sales tax.

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I can vouch for Nature's Way. Have been there twice, lots of varied and interesting material. There are smaller collected trees (spruces, mostly) that are under $100, some possibly as low as $50? Not sure, but I did pick up a spruce there for $75 a couple of years ago.

I always tell people this because I had a good experience there - the Mid Atlantic Bonsai Symposium is being held in Harrisburg again in 2013, very close to Natures Way. Worth a trip. First time symposium attendees pay 50% of the fee, I believe.

Have also bought a couple of ponderosas from Andy Smith. I mail ordered them last spring, they were the recently collected "burlap bonanza" trees. Both are doing well, though it will be at least another year before I even think about doing any work on them. Got to meet Andy at the Rochester show and he seemed like one of the "good ones", very willing to talk about the trees, offer advice, etc. Had some nice collected material available as well.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:58 pm

leatherback wrote:hint: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=natures+way+nursery
They ship but no catalog or pics of individual trees yet...very difficult (for me) to buy trees that way.

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Walter Pall on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Well this is a nursery that needs to be visited in person. The trees are so individual, some are so expensive, most look terrible on pictures while they are top class. They will definitely not have a catalog about these trees nor do they need one. The trees will be sold, no worries.

Walter Pall

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:12 pm

No question or argument from me Walter...it is my loss not the farm's but it would be nice for us who live so far to have that avenue and choice if possible. Hopefully, someday I can visit if I travel that side of the US. Smile

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Read my post, which I lifted of the linked page: Trees need to be picked up in person, or arrangements can be made if they are in your region. They do not ship trees.

KR,

Jelle.

leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm

leatherback wrote:Read my post, which I lifted of the linked page: Trees need to be picked up in person, or arrangements can be made if they are in your region. They do not ship trees.
RIGHT! I read about "sent via UPS and FedEx" and missed the "all other items" Very Happy...thanks for the clarification. cheers

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, Dario, when you make the long trek to Rochester for the national exhibit in 2014, just be sure to plan a side trip to Natures Way! Simple as that!

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:37 pm

coh wrote:Well, Dario, when you make the long trek to Rochester for the national exhibit in 2014, just be sure to plan a side trip to Natures Way! Simple as that!
Ooh,I would love that. Maybe, if I can work out a road trip with Joey... Twisted Evil

My wife is open to the idea of us attending a major (like the national) exhibit anyway. Dance

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  stagz on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:25 am

well i have to say thank you for all the replies guys. i appreciate it. im pretty shocked that ive gotten some responses from Walter P and Tony T. ive been watching their videos and reading their material for a while now and i love the fact that you guys stay grounded and come on the forums. idk mabe some of you dont think they're famous, but to me they are men that i look up to

stagz

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:19 am

Poink88 wrote:
coh wrote:Well, Dario, when you make the long trek to Rochester for the national exhibit in 2014, just be sure to plan a side trip to Natures Way! Simple as that!
Ooh,I would love that. Maybe, if I can work out a road trip with Joey... Twisted Evil

My wife is open to the idea of us attending a major (like the national) exhibit anyway. Dance

stop buying home depot trees now Dario and make a solid financial tree plan for 2014 Very Happy - I see some nice pines in Walters pictures...........couple of very very nice ones too. One good tree gives far more pleasure than 50 less good ones i find.

I've now come to the conclusion when looking to buy material (yamadori or just raw unstyled) it is worth paying for proper establishment and root work- When you buy something it is obvious you want to start working on it - no-one wants to come home with a tree and be told wait 3-4 years before wiring it ! Very Happy. For this reason I look to the known tried and tested sources who have a 100% good reputation amongst experienced bonsai artists for supplying such material. I think this thread has listed some perfect outlets already. My last yamadori purchase had been established for 7 years and professionally repotted twice since collecting - each time into a smaller pot as enough new roots to support the tree have grown. This is what you pay for - a similar tree in a 4ft wooden 'coffin' of a box is worth a fraction as you need to just look at it for years - I'm already too old for that cheers

happy shopping

Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Yamadori golden rules

Post  Tony on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:09 am

Don't do any of the following

Buy off EBay
Buy a tree that you cannot maintain
Buy a species that you are unfamiliar
Buy a tree in an overly large container unless you are prepared to risk reducing the rootball

Questions you must ask.
When was the tree collected?
How many growing seasons has the tree been in the container?
Has all the original soil been replaced?
Does the tree come with a replacement guarantee of health?
Can I work on the tree immediately?

Apart from the obvious bonsai husbandry you should not work Yamadori until you know that it thrives in your garden.

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:44 am

tony wrote:
Questions you must ask.
Does the tree come with a replacement guarantee of health?

That is a VERY tricky one. How long a guarantee? What if you don't know how good (or otherwise) a plantsperson the buyer is? What if there is a very bad spell of weather in the interim that has caused the tree to suffer or die? How can you guarantee the honesty of the buyer? What if the buyer insists on buying the tree out of season?

I have a couple of people I would no longer sell trees to because they demanded their money back after two growing seasons. For the few trees I sell on, I'm very much a caveat emptor seller now.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:45 pm

tony wrote:Don't do any of the following

Buy off EBay...
In general I would agree with this. However, there are reputable sellers and good deals to be found (as well as plenty of junk). I've purchased 2 trees via ebay and they were both as described and pictured (and fairly inexpensive).

I don't think that I would ever buy a really expensive tree without seeing it in person, though.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum