Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with this .....

+3
abcd
GašperG
efishn
7 posters

Go down

Help with this ..... Empty Help with this .....

Post  efishn Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am

Hello All,
I have a problem with my new Juniper and i'll be grateful for some help please. some info:
it was collected 3 months ago, planted in big container and placed in shade.
here it is:
Help with this ..... Dscn6213

after 2 months i have noticed that it still looking bad, so i checked the soil and i have found it was very very moist, and found no new roots at all. 2 weeks ago I Planted it again in well drainage soil. till now nothing happen. it's all foliage still looking like in this pic:

Help with this ..... Junipe12

so... what do you think, what can i do for it ?

many thanks
Efi
efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Help with this ..... Empty Re: Help with this .....

Post  GašperG Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Efi,

In my experience pale green foliage does not mean any good. I had a juniper that went from pale green to yellow and brown no mather what i did.
If you have potted it in a well draining soil, that is about all you could do.
I hope someone else has more encouraging words.

Best...

Gašper
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:00 pm

GašperG wrote:I hope someone else has more encouraging words.
Best...

Gašper

Thx mate.

efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

not looking good indeed

i would hurry to give it a shot of superthrive... maybe it recovers after all...since this works on the roots getting a grip again... it HAS a rootball but no new roots i read, so if you have superthrive or another rootstimulant with good rep, use it.

Back to top Go down

Post  abcd Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:19 pm

junipers love humidity on and around the foliage , not too on the roots.
Spray the foliage with water 3 or 4 times a day, water and fertilizer on the roots later when there are signs of growth.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm

yves71277 wrote:not looking good indeed

i would hurry to give it a shot of superthrive... maybe it recovers after all...since this works on the roots getting a grip again... it HAS a rootball but no new roots i read, so if you have superthrive or another rootstimulant with good rep, use it.

Hi,
....and lower watering, let almost dry. Probably start root rot...might aply systemic fungicide...but wait few days since you repoted. Good luck...just pray
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Efi. Do you know which species of Juniper you have?

FWIW I have a juniper (J. chinensis var. parsonii - seen HERE ) that does exactly the same thing every year and I believe it is because it gets overly wet here in Scotland. This year I have kept a simple polythene "rain jacket" over the roots on wet days (and we have a lot of those) and so far it seems to have worked. Additionally, quite a lot of last year's damage has sorted itself out either through brand new young growth or other parts of the same branches growing in to fill the voids left by the damaged bits. I have usually just snipped off any browned bits.

I say FWIW as I am only too aware of the vast differences in our climates and I'd be surprised if you get even a small fraction of the rain I get. Yet you mentioned that the soil was very moist when you inspected it - can I ask if you think this was caused by watering? If so, then it surely indicates that there was a drainage issue which of course you then addressed. Perhaps it is just taking time to recover from being uprooted and then repotted in a relatively short space of time.

Why not keep a watch to see if the problem gets any worse before you worry any further. As I said, mine has made a decent recovery but it did take at least a year to do so.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

btw like some of the guys have mentioned, I did spray the foliage rather than over-water but I also moved it to an area where it was getting maximum air flow as what I found was that it didn't like sitting with wet leaves. This was considerably more so before it has its foliage thinned out. Mine was probably as overgrown as yours.

Bearing in mind of course the climate differences.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

fiona wrote:Hi Efi. Do you know which species of Juniper you have?

Why not keep a watch to see if the problem gets any worse before you worry any further. As I said, mine has made a decent recovery but it did take at least a year to do so.

Hi Fiona (and nice to take with u),

Sorry, I don't know what species is it.
Yes it was watering problem.

I'm glad that yours Juni is fine now, if mine will recover too maybe we should meet them together in Greece Very Happy

what do u think, should i "pinch off" all the brown foliage ?

thx
Efi

efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:40 pm

I would not do anything else, except moderate watering until the plant shows signs of recovery.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  efishn Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I would not do anything else, except moderate watering until the plant shows signs of recovery.

Hi Billy,

what u say about the pinching? should i remove the brown foliage ?

thx

efishn
efishn

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Pinching will not help the tree, it can hurt it actually if it is struggling. It will look better, but if it results to its demise, is it worth it? I say do as Billy suggested and DO NOTHING but moderate watering for now.

Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

efishn wrote: Hi Fiona (and nice to talk with you),

Sorry, I don't know what species is it.
Yes it was watering problem.

I'm glad that yours Juni is fine now, if mine will recover too maybe we should meet them together in Greece Very Happy

what do you think, should i "pinch off" all the brown foliage ?

thx
Efi

All I can say is that I cut (with sharp scissors rather than pinched with fingernails) off the browned tips at the beginning of the growing season, after danger of frost was past. But my tree had been established as a bonsai and in a pot for at least eight years whereas yours is just out of the ground. I would think that given that difference and add to it the significant climate difference between where you are and a wet Scotland where I am, it would be advisable to do nothing at this moment until your tree has recovered a lot more. You'll probably find the truly dead bits will fall off anyway - mine did.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum