Problem with air layering

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problem with air layering

Post  astoadsfry on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Back in mid June I attempted to air layer a segment of a flowering cherry from the yard. I cut a 3-4 inch section of bark away and scrapped down to the bare wood. Planted a pot around it and covered with plastic to keep moist but not too wet. This past weekend I took off the pot to check on its progress and found the bark had grown back in what looked like a mass of tumors. Has anyone else experienced this? or know what I may have done wrong?

Todd

astoadsfry

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with air layering

Post  Poink88 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Can you post a pic?

What size/diameter is the branch?

It sounds like it attempted to form the callus where the roots will grow but you might have left a live vein/bridge allowing it to grow back. Someone mentioned wiping the stripped area with alcohol to kill the cambium preventing a grow back. Can you re-try below the formed callus (tumor like formation) later next spring?

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  astoadsfry on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:40 pm

the branch is about 2" in diameter at the most.

I plan to try again in the spring in a different spot on the branch, i just didnt want to repeat the same mistake if i could find or figure out what went wrong. Thank you for your feedback I'll keep it in mind next spring.

astoadsfry

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:06 am

Hi Todd and Dario,

I had a similar result this year on a pear in our garden. I found out the stripped area was too narow so the callus formed as well. You both mentioned the possibility of trying again next spring but below the current cut. My question is why shouldn't I try on the exact same spot? Rolling Eyes ...or have I misunderstood?

Best...

Gašper

GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:05 pm

GašperG wrote:I found out the stripped area was too narow so the callus formed as well. You both mentioned the possibility of trying again next spring but below the current cut. My question is why shouldn't I try on the exact same spot? Rolling Eyes ...or have I misunderstood?
Gašper,

I suggest trying under the old cut because you already have the callus on it. Basically half of the work is done there and you only need to encourage root growth from it now. Of course you can also do where the original was or other places if you wish.

BTW, You can also tie two loops of (your thickest aluminum/copper) wire around the stripped area to prevent any bridging again later.

Good luck!

Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Some layers work. Others don't. And some trees are more difficult than others. I've found that members of the Genus Prunus tend to be more difficult for both layering and for cuttings than other Genera of the Rose family. That could, of course, just be me.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

Right, thanks for the explanation...I got worried because I have a very limited area to layer. Next time I will leave a small portion of already formed callus and a new cut below. Will also try the wire trick.

And yes Jim, I think I have picked the most unwilling tree in the garden to air-layer. (Her beautiful limbs got me carried away Laughing )

Thanks again

Best...

Gašper

GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 pm

I have found smooth barked trees harder to air layer. On crepe myrtles I will do the traditional ringing and removal to the cambien layer, but on the top section under cut and lift the bark and flair it out as much as 1" depending On the thickness of the branch. Twisting a thick wire underneath to hold the flair up. Then wrap the flair with spagham moss held on with rubber bands. Now secure the pot and back fill with bonsai soil that is low in organic. All that you need to do is keep the moss moist and wait. It may be to late in the season now to try and redo it this season, unless you have a green house for protection.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:48 pm

I would do a similar thing to Mitch's suggestion next spring, but use a clear plastic pot so you can see when there are roots without having to disturb the soil and moss. I'd also expect to wait a couple of years before there are enough roots to safely remove the layer.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum