Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens

+9
ChandlerBonsai
Tim Priest
Gary Swiech
Todd Ellis
cbobgo
Poink88
Jerry Meislik
Steven
DreadyKGB
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

Hey Dreadytodd, thanks for posting all of these pics!

Everyone has had an opinion about that juniper, but what's the first tree? I keep looking at that picture and I can't quite figure it out. My favorite, I think.

Am I the only one who thinks those tokonomas are waaaaaay too small and cramped?

Hey Russell
That tree was a Chinese Lacebark Elm, Ulmus parvifolia, the normal bark form, rather than the cork bark form, Grown for many years by Jack D. from Wisconsin. It is a very well done tree, the cramped space really doesn't do it justice. I love the way the trunk was hollowed. If I remember right (I could be wrong) the hollow was originally a scar from an early trunk chop, and was the back of the tree. Jack has had this tree at least 20 or more years.
My pictures of the tree, forgive the fact I had to use flash on my point and shoot. Too many people to set up a tripod.

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 Bestinshow-amateur1
Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 Bestinshow-JD2

Jack's partner, Michelle, her tree was this Black Hills spruce. I really like the placement of the trunks, very nicely done, no matter what angle you look at the spruce from when you are more or less in front of it, at least one of the trunks is always partly or completely hidden. There are 7 trunks in the pot. Personally I would use a different pot, but Michelle has a deliberate idea in mind in her pot choice, as between her and Jack they have an extensive collection of pots she could have chosen from. The pot gives it a different setting than the average 'spruce on the mountains scene'. As this clump matures, the foliage pads become more defined, and the trunks develop a rougher bark, this will be very nice.

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 BlackHills-spruce-MichelleZimmer2

I myself liked the greater number of shitakusa / kusamono shown this year, including bamboo. This one is Plieoblastus viridistriata, a nice dwarf variegate bamboo. This species is light yellow-green stripes on deep blue-green background. The patterns is bold in spring, usually fading by mid summer to a medium green for both the light and dark stripes. It is fully winter hardy in the Chicago area, even if the foliage winter-kills, the rhizomes will survive a very deep freeze. My clump's rhizomes survived -25 F (roughly -32 C) the ground had frozen to a depth exceeding 8 feet that year. The clump came back as if nothing had happened. So it is a good bamboo to use in the mid-west. This bamboo was displayed with a juniper.

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 P-viridi-striata-JimWalsh

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 J-rigida-JimWalsh
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens

Post  Russell Coker Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks Leo, that's what I was thinking. What a beautiful elm.

I found the comments about the juniper's pot in the other thread very interesting. Personally, I think that pot choice is spot on. In Japan, these decorated pots are often used for junipers with dramatic jin and shari. Those pots can steal the show of a lesser tree, so it's a perfect fit for a tree with lots going on. I can see exactly why Ryan picked it, I would have too. As for the elm, if it were mine I'd be looking for a different, more interesting pot.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Mid America Bonsai Show @ the Chicago Botanical Gardens - Page 2 Empty Show critique by Peter Warren

Post  coh Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 am

Came across this the other day...2012 Midwest Bonsai Show Critique by Peter Warren
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2