Tall privet clump

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tall privet clump

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 pm

This group stands 18 inches (or so) high. The first pic is moments after I dug it up earlier this year. The second its today. I've done some trimming, and I have used chopstick pieces to spread the clump apart a bit. Nothing more. I'll put it into a shallow pot next spring.

This is one of a dozen or so privet (Ligustrum sinensis) I have. It is almost as versatile as boxwood for bonsai, but I suspect not as long lived -- especially with deadwood. All deadwood on this one (a bit hard to see at this remove) is natural so far.

Comments and suggestions solicited, please.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Tall privet clump

Post  Harleyrider on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi Jim. Looking good so far. I'm currently in the process of lifting around 20 or so 80-100 year old privet stumps from ground around my house. As you can imagine, they're somewhat 'bulkier' than this specimen, but having seen the results you have produced here, I now have no reason to ignore the multiple similar examples strewn around my 'private' collection area.
I await further developments with interest......

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:42 am

Jim / Harleyrider

Check out this Privet by Ian Warhurst, he is on the IBC.

http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/bonsai-f1/cotoneaster-bonsai-or-topiary-t846.htm

An excellent example of collected material used for Bonsai and a good source of inspiration Very Happy

Regards

Andy

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm

It is a very nice tree, but I guarantee that his tree will be smaller in a very few years as the deadwood crumbles away. I've found nothing that will preserve privet wood.

This:

Now is this;

And is getting smaller and smaller.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:20 pm

An update:

The deadwood: (left)

(right)

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:18 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum