Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria

+3
Precarious
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Khaimraj Seepersad
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Empty Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Hello Folks,

been working with the fustic for a while now, and I believe I am finally beginning to understand the tree.
I am able to get the tree very branched and very leaf dense.
Should make an excellent addition to the Tropical branch of Bonsai.

I think it is also a member of the Ficus family hence the milk sap when the branches are trimmed.

Likes full sun, and goes semi to fully dormant around December until February.

Just collected some more from drains and fences. Will continue to show as I continue to experiment and learn.
Later.
Khaimraj

21st Feb 2014

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic11

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : images)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Empty Re: Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:16 pm

November - branch extension - reached almost 4 feet [ 122 cm ] and cut down, became an airlayer, removed some days ago.
Later.
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic12
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Empty Re: Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:22 pm

As it is today. Very exciting, as this tree has a great deal of potential.
No real surface roots, but the trunk will rib, have to learn how to do that.
Removal of the air layer, brought on new leaves, tree was going dormant.
Second branch to be thickened, and seeing how much denser the twigs will become.
Enjoy.
Khaimraj

Front -
Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic13

Side -

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic14
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:19 pm

wow khai... great example of what a sacrifice branch can do in a relatively short period of time !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 am

Hello to All,

to show the difference, first shot earlier this year, and then now.

How many branchlets can I get, and as the trunk thickens how many more wil form?
Laters.
Khaimraj

Earlier this year
Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic15

Today -
Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic16
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:05 pm

khai - thats alot of new branching !

also wondering if you feel that the 1st branch may have thickened a bit toooo much ???
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:22 pm

I was wondering the same and thinking that maybe it needs to be cut off at the very first branching to preserve a sense of natural proportion.  In fact, the picture from earlier in the year seemed to have good proportion and just needed some manipulation to get rid of the straight line quality of that branch. What's your plan Khai?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:32 am

Morning Guys,

Happy New Year !!

Try it from these angles -

[1] The tree needs a trunk closer to 2" [ 5 cm ] as the height is around 10" [ 25. 5 cm ]  Trunk is presently around 1.25"
[ 3.2 cm ]

[2] It is the test plant.

There is a relationship of trunk diameter to branching [ branchlets ] that has to be explored. As well as the actual effect of what I call - fluting - on the trunk, but I suspect I have to cross at least 10 years for that mature feature to start to begin.
Tree is just 8 years old.

Thanks for responding.
Please feel free to keep asking.
Laters.
Khai......

Should kind of look like this -

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic17

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Putting in an image)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:17 pm

that virtual helps to see where you wanna go, but wont the branch in question also continue to swell ?
(though not at the rate of the trunk of course, as there is less energy there than the rest of the tree)

if so, how do you plan to keep that branch in check ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Kevin,

what was observed on branches in the ficus, is if there is no extension, the twigs being grown on the branch, hardly cause any fattening. So I will be expecting the same with the fustic, which is also a member of the same family as the ficus.

Plus, I intend to pass the energy through the second branch for 2015. I need it thicker and to help heal the wound next to it.

Additionally, on my side, trees on the highway and in the fields by their lonesome, will often develop low branches that are about 0.75 of the trunk. So even the first branch might have to be thickened eventually.
I try to pay attention to trees in nature, so I don't end up making Mannerised [ cookie cutter trees ].
Trees in a forest or jungle will have a different response in branch thickness and height [ being taller .]

Last point, these efforts of mine don't often photograph well, since the camera has one eye, and no real depth is given to the tree, which is why I often turn them to the side, so the viewer can see there is volume, in branching and leaf.This has led to quite a few on the Internet, presenting trees, with spindly branches to make the trunk look larger.
A visual illusion.

Bonsai if practiced as living sculpture, will not photograph well.
Worse when you see those spindly branches on thicker trunks, in reality.
Take care.
Khai....

* Please note this is also a new tree for me, and an experiment, can go anyway.

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : whoops wrong edit)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks for answering Khai. I hope you'll show progression pictures.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:58 pm

David and Kevin,

a page from my sketch book, at the bottom is the what I expect to get eventually, the leaning image is what I wished I really had - Laughing

But instead of watching how about you guys try doing and post a topic on one or all of these -

[1] The Zelkova - I think the red stemmed variety for maximum branching [ talk yo Marcus Watts - member here.]

[2] The Chinese elms

[3] The American celtis types

[4] The American elms.

You can grow 8 to 12" [ 20.5 cm to 30.5 cm ] trees.

There is an article in - Handbook on Dwarfed Potted Trees  
- page 60 - Japanese Zelkova Bonsai from Seedlings.
Brooklyn Botannical Gardens Books

Inter-library loan or Amazon purchase

Trunks fattening and 6 branches all together.
Later.
Khai.......

Sketch book page -

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic10

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot sketch)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
But instead of watching how about you guys try doing and post a topic on one or all of these -

[1] The Zelkova - I think the red stemmed variety for maximum branching [ talk yo Marcus Watts - member here.]

[2] The Chinese elms

[3] The American celtis types

[4] The American elms.

already doing and posted the american (or possibly siberian) collected elm (last posted in fall so, nothing new to show on that)
also posted my air layers that came off a different elm

my chinese elm was purchased as a pre-bonsai and it isn't "mine" to show/post yet
(at least not until i put more of "my hand" on it, plans of which are in the works)

and i dont have either of the other 2...

next up for me though for posting will be my 1st phoenix graft attempt...

and i dont think either of us mind watching and learning during the cold grip of winter Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:29 am

I will be starting two new elm projects in Spring- one pot-grown and one still in the ground. Right now it's just reading, looking at pics of quality bonsai, and picking the brains of patient bonsai enthusiasts.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:12 pm

An update.
About a week or so after defoliatiing.
Tree also responds to cuttings, and ailayers.
Will be 10 years old in 2016.

Feel free to comment, nay or yay.
Enjoy
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic11
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Brother-in-law has a new camera.
It has this fun feature.
Laters.
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic12
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:47 pm

This fustic tree is coming along nicely. I really like how it is turning out. Nice. Only 10 years, and it looks quite nice. A mature tree image. (not an ancient tree image, but a nice healthy mature tree image). Nice.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Marco Giai-Coletti Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Good job, I like your sketch for where it's heading.
Marco Giai-Coletti
Marco Giai-Coletti

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:56 pm

3 other efforts -

[1] Note - none of these found seedlings behave like the first tree, leaves drop quickly and not after 6 to 8 months as on the first tree.
So I have airlayers and cuttings from the first tree growing on.

[2] All are under 5 to 8 years of age.

Feel free to comment, yay or nay.
Laters
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic13

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic14

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic15
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:00 pm

The tree today.
Pruned every week.
Can only handle 3 trees of this density,
Enjoy
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic16
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:37 pm

This one was found growing into a chain link fence over at the refinery, some years ago.
Still testing.
As usual say .........
Laters.
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic17
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:00 pm

this one i dig... except for the heavy-ish branch on the left, up in the crown...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:11 pm

Update - started work towards growing in a Bonsai pot. 2nd January 2016
Weather  changed from wet to dry and the tree wilted before the evening I was returning from Mayaro.
Leaves started falling and it began the self defoliate cycle. Which is normal for the tree.

Waiting to see if I have lost any fine branchlets.

I have since replanted the tree into a deeper pot, with about an inch [ 2.5 cm ] of commercial peatmoss with perlite and added 5 mm builder's gravel.

We are also awaiting a Tropical depression / storm tomorrow or next day. Rain.
Until,
Khaimraj

Fustic -Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura tinctoria Fustic10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:25 pm

nice progression khai - but i'm still not sure how i feel about that heavy branch scratch
i have one doing the same thing and i am struggling with that too...
(i am continually weakening mine)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:33 am

Kevin,

thanks for looking [ just in case you are wondering, how so early in the morning - off to Toco, hour and half long drive. ]

This is all still a learning experience, I am hoping for the trunk to mature to 3" [ 8 cm ] and
that should bring everything into balance. It is presently just 1.5" [ 4 cm ]
Trouble is this tree will thicken branches easily, but not the trunk scratch

So I have another test plant in a colander in the grow trough, to see how the trunk thickens.
[ an airlayer off of this plant ]

Unlike the ficus p. which thickens all over with a elongated branch, the chlorophora, just doesn't.

So there is a secret I have to uncover. Let you know visually when I do.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next