Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Cotoneaster

+4
Poink88
Leo Schordje
fiona
Peter E.
8 posters

Go down

Old Cotoneaster Empty Old Cotoneaster

Post  Peter E. Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 pm

I aquired this old piece of Cotoneaster recently from a Bonsai mate who dug it out of his garden.
He believes it to be about 60 years old as it was planted on a wall when the house was built.
My question is,
has anyone ever carved Cotoneaster and is the wood hard.
This stump need detailed carving to create interest but is it worth the work ?.

Old Cotoneaster 110

Old Cotoneaster 210

Old Cotoneaster 310

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Old Cotoneaster Empty Re: Old Cotoneaster

Post  fiona Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Poster has requested assistance/information/advice - thread moved to Questions.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:47 am

Surprised you haven't gotten responses yet from someone more experienced than myself.

I personally have not had any experience with carving cotoneaster. In some ways, softer wood is easier to carve. Pine and juniper wood are softer than any of the fruit woods, they are frequently carved. I would suspect that cotoneaster is moderately hard wood. Probably not as hard as pear, or cherry, most likely a hardness similar to apple wood. Wood hardeners available these days make it possible to preserve carved wood indefinitely (at least for many years). So I would definitely say; Yes, this is a trunk worth carving.

Very hard wood is difficult to carve and not leave tell tale tool marks.

Hopefully some who has more experience with carving deciduous trees than I will comment also.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 am

Interesting material. I have no idea but it seems slow growing which usually equates to hard wood.

You have the material, you can easily try carving one end and see how hard it is. Granted hardness doesn't automatically mean rot resistant, you can always apply wood hardener/preserver later.

Good luck!!!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 am

Hi,

plan how you see the finished tree long before you decide how (and more importantly where) to carve the stump. Once you have the design, have selected the front and decided which branches to grow on to make the tree the carving can be started to complement the rest of it.

how do you see the finished bonsai?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:48 am

Yes, the wood is very hard.

A challenging tree, but worth taking the time to work on it. Difficult to offer an idea when you can't see such a tree in "real life"...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 pm

As Marcus says, think about the carving part, but meanwhile choose the branches you want, eliminate the others, and grow it out. Carve later.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for the responce.
Have no plans yet for the design but will keep yuo all posted. ThumbsUp

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Treedwarfer Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:55 am

Peter,
Strip the bark off anything that is either dead, dying or you're certain you won't need. Then, as you grow these fragile shoots into more robust growth over the next few years, let the rain and sun do its work on the exposed wood. The natural cracks and textures will give you the inspiration you need. After enough time the outer layers of sapwood should become soft enough to exaggerate these natural cracks by hand rather than the less delicate power tool method.

Treedwarfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down