Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

J. parsonii

4 posters

Go down

J. parsonii Empty J. parsonii

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I can't recall seeing many Parson's juniper bonsai. There may be a reason for that, I suppose, but I was given a potbound nursery specimen last winter. I've been moving it down into smaller pots and it seems to be happy enough.

If anyone has any special handling suggestions for this tree, I'll certainly listen. It is in a continuous state of partial juvenile foliage and stringy adult foliage. Based on the appearance of both, I may try to keep it in juvenile state. The tree is 22 inches long.

J. parsonii 8-12_p10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

J. parsonii Empty Re: J. parsonii

Post  milehigh_7 Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 am

I have one and the recommendation from everyone was to graft on Shimpaku. I will be interested to see where you decide to take this.

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm

milehigh_7 wrote:I have one and the recommendation from everyone was to graft on Shimpaku. I will be interested to see where you decide to take this.

Thanks. I doubt that I'll do any grafting. No sense having a Parson's then trying to turn it into something else. But that's just me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

J. parsonii Empty Parson's Juniper

Post  bonsaisr Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:07 pm

'Parsonii' is a cultivar of J. chinensis. Bonsai methods for chinensis should probably work.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Hmmm. Checking my various tree sites on the web, there appears to be some debate about the correct taxonomy and relatio0nships. I seem to recall us discussing this some time last year.

It sure doesn't behave (or look) like a J. chinensis.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  milehigh_7 Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Well they trunk up fast but will perpetually have both types of foliage. The adult type gets really long and stringy.

milehigh_7

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

This tree has changed some since I took those first pictures. There's only one trunk. I've done some preliminary work on the jin (though the one on the end may still be about 2x too long). I've also done some wiring on the branches down near the base.

It does seem to have both adult and juvenile foliage all the time, but I seem to be getting a bit more compacted adult foliage.

I'm probably through fiddling with the tree for this year, though it still is actively growing.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

J. parsonii 1-12_p10

J. parsonii 10-12_15
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Patrick Giacobbe Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:49 am

J. parsonii Dsc_5913
Juniper Parsonii, urban collected, in training five years all natrual, no grafting.
Pat

Patrick Giacobbe
Patrick Giacobbe

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 am

Very nice.
Is this one of Jim Smith's trees? How do you get such nice foliage?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down