FUTURE pot for weeping haw????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FUTURE pot for weeping haw????

Post  JimLewis on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm several years from putting this into anything but plastic like its current 16-inch pot, but I'd like to start thinking (and saving up my money) for the future.

So, I'll welcome suggestions on shape, dimensions, and finish or color for a pot that may be 4-5 years (or more) away.

After I get this first wired-in, weepy, skeleton-shape locked in this winter (the branches are a bit hard to separate one from another while in leaf), I foresee the branches almost touching the pot.

I look forward to any suggestions.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: FUTURE pot for weeping haw????

Post  Jake16 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:18 pm

Im assuming this is only going to be winter tree

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:59 pm

I wanted to take a stab at a virtual, but I am not sure if I like the results. Maybe something a little thinner with sharper corners on the bottom? Just a shot in the dark for me.
[img][/img]

MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm

I'd be happy with that shape, but perhaps not as wide??? Thanks for the suggestion.

Jake. I don't know yet. Haven't had a winter since I wired the branches. When the leaves fall, and I rearrange the branches, perhaps prune some, and then when I get leaves again next year on the rearranged tree, we'll make that decision -- or not.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:43 pm

JimLewis wrote:After I get this first wired-in, weepy, skeleton-shape locked in this winter (the branches are a bit hard to separate one from another while in leaf), I foresee the branches almost touching the pot.

Hi Jim,

I like the look of the trunk allready starting to show maturaty.
I mostly also appreciate non-conformist styling, by which i mean a more free style, natural style, or any style thats a bit away from the strict classical bonsai styles.

But, i'm not so sure about a real weeping-style hawthorn... its a bridge too far for me, if not 2 bridges. By that I mean, i've never seen weeping hawthorns, not in bonsai and not in nature. Only something when you find em in old hollow roads on top of the slopes, overgrowing the road, but even then its not 'really' weeping.

so if you speak about letting it weep even further, not for me.

but, if you wanna do that, and like a weeping style regardless of what specimen you use, that is ok for me.

greetings

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:59 pm

yves71277 wrote: But, i'm not so sure about a real weeping-style hawthorn... its a bridge too far for me, if not 2 bridges. By that I mean, i've never seen weeping hawthorns, not in bonsai and not in nature.

Actually, here along the Gulf Coast, there is a species native to a few counties of north Florida that naturally weeps. I have one and will post it later.

Jim, I'd go the other way - less wide, more depth for stability, round or flower shaped.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Actually, here along the Gulf Coast, there is a species native to a few counties of north Florida that naturally weeps. I have one and will post it later.

Jim, I'd go the other way - less wide, more depth for stability, round or flower shaped.

Thanks, Russell. I like the idea of more depth <g>. People are always encouraging me to put trees in ever-shallower pots. I have a round, mica drum pot that I may move it to for further training, so we'll see.

I'd like to see your hawthorn, Russell. Sorry, Yves, that a weeping haw is too much for you. As far as i could see (or imagine) with this tree, any other shape than weeping would be sleep inducing.

This is a Washington hawthorn, which "normally" are rounded shrubs or small trees. I assume this is a cultivar of some type. It was one of the 10 freebees I got when we moved here, gotten from the Arbor Day Foundation, and as usual all of them were a great disappointment.

It has wicked, 2-inch thorns.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 pm

I tried and got nothing. Sorry Ill keep trying Smile

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Jake16 wrote:I tried and got nothing. Sorry Ill keep trying :)

Sorry? What did you try?

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:41 pm

i tried these three, i get board with brown pots so thats why i went for the first one

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Maybe this, or something close to it. (I dont love it but I think its close, the pot edges are suppose to be smooth. I didnt like the curve so I changed it)

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Actually, here along the Gulf Coast, there is a species native to a few counties of north Florida that naturally weeps. I have one and will post it later.

waw i didnt know that, but you got me inspired to google it, and i found Crataegus lepida, perhaps its that one?
one is never to old (or young) to lear Smile

I was indeed talking about the haw's that grow in western-europe...mainly crataegus monogyna.

If this is a lepida, well, very well done i guess Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:05 pm

Yves, that is probably it, or close. There's a lot of confusion when it comes to southern hawthorns. Pensacola hawthorn (C. lacrimata) has a VERY small range. It's a very pretty little tree with a little ginkgo type leaf, and I've been meaning to introduce it here on the forum for a couple of years now. I'll try to remember to get some good pictures this winter. Here are a couple of summer pictures I "borrowed" from the web.

Jim, my hawthorn isn't anything special. Well, it's a Pensacola haw, in a pot, and alive - so it's kinda special!

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum