Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs

+10
Fabianoscosta
leonardo
John Quinn
Jay Gaydosh
fiona
bonsaisr
Norma
EdMerc
JimLewis
waway
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Empty Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs

Post  waway Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:43 pm

guys i need any inputs on using blood meal and/or bone meal directly to plants. is this a good way of acquiring nitrogen and phosphorus using organic matter? any adverse effect to the soil in the long run?

anyone who have tried these things pls share your experiences.

waway

Back to top Go down

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Empty Re: Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:31 pm

I use bone meal spring and late summer for roots; don't use blood meal.

I sprinkle it over the surface then scratch it in.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Empty Re: Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs

Post  EdMerc Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I use both bone meal and blood meal in the making of my fert cakes. I use bone meal mixed in my soil when I repot in spring to get things started.

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 pm

One part bone meal
Two parts cottonseed meal

Sprinkle lightly on bonsai soil once a month during growing season.

- Recipe of Mas Imazumi

This recipe is to be used in addition to regular fertilizer.

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Empty Bone Meal & Blood Meal

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Not if you have dogs. They will lick it right up & possibly damage your trees.
Iris No
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Iris,
Are you talking about blood/bone meal or bone/cottonseed meal? My red heeler would practically climb onto my benches for homemade fertilizer cakes but never "bats an eye" for the bone/cottonseed sprinkled onto the top soil of my bonsai. Dogs go for the fish emulsion but I 've never heard of any going for the blood meal ?!

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 pm

One of the reasons I started using seaweed and Miracle Gro was because it was about the only thing my old black labrador didn't like the taste of. She too would happily climb on to benches to reach fertiliser cake (I blamed the birds until I caught her in flagrante), and she would eat hoof, horn, fish, bonemeal and all sorts of other substances from wherever I put it in the garden. She also once ate her way through a sizeable quantity of cocoa shell mulch which, we were told later, should have killed her. She obviously hadn't read that report. She also liked blood products, both in the plant food sense and when she once antagonised my hubby by stealing his slice of Black Pudding off his breakfast plate. Our current Golden Retriever is a great big softie coward and has never so much as sniffed at plant food since I shouted at him two years ago. I've kind of stuck to the Miracle Gro and Seaweed out of habit. But it does get good results in my climate, so why fix it if it ain't broke?

Last edited by fionnghal on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo. Shhh - dont tell John Q!)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:21 pm

fionnghal wrote:She also liked blood products, both in the plant food sense and when she once antagonised my hubby by stealing his slice of Black Pudding off his breakfast plate.

How was she on Haggis? Meself, I'm a glutton for a good Haggis!

Good Haggis, is that an oximoron? lol!

forbey
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:40 pm

forbey wrote: How was she on Haggis?
Alas, she was never quick enough to catch one! Mad
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:51 am

(Reason for editing : Typo. Shhh - dont tell John Q!)

You forgot the apostrophe too, but who's counting... Razz

My 'boys' also like most organic fertilizers so I must stick with soluble products like MiracleGro, Peter's, etc.
Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs 305_0010
Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Atticu10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:55 am

Since we're braggin' about our dogs,they say that dogs with ears that point up are smarter, now I'm not saying that my Australian Cattle dog is smarter but Diamond knows what's important ..... as watch dog for the garden and catching frisbees !! But not necessarily in that order. Over the years I have lived with all kinds of dogs and when 18 of my best bonsai were stolen in 2000, I researched dogs that would be loyal , protective and wouldn't bite the mailman. She does sound ferocious and like the german shepherd has a full body "mohawk" when alarmed!

Here's a picture of her after play .... as she cools off !

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Dsc_0210

Last edited by Norma on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oops...spelling ...so it's to John Q. that I apoligize ??)
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:54 pm

You want a fierce watchdog?????

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Pup10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Got one with ears that stick up? They try but mine barks to make up for the inadequacy.
...... ciao, Leonardo

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs L_003810

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fabianoscosta Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:04 pm

That´s my bokashi eater!
Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs 4812_1160643063074_1437726399_30431639_869204_n

Fabianoscosta

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Fiona... Now look what you have done Rolling Eyes ANOTHER Doggie post,

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:19 pm

Whoa! Hold on! Or should I say "Sit and stay, boy!" I merely responded to Iris and Norma and, you'll note, there were no pictures of my ferocious burglar repeller here.

But now that I'v been provoked: introducing Buddy in a typical pose - a dog so ferocious he let an intruder break and enter our house a few weeks ago (as we lay in our beds) then proceded to show him round the entire house without so much as a bark or a whimper. The old seedcake eater would at least have had him cornered, if only to search his pockets for a biscuit.

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Dscf0110

Actually, if we take Norma's point that it's only dogs with ears that point upward that are ferocious, then I reckon Bud is really quite a bruiser when he's fast asleep lying on his back.

And anyway, Mr T, who was it started an entire thread about pets?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:22 pm

The dog keeps jumping on the bonsai.....ciao, Leonardo

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Dogsai10

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:29 pm

If that's a jin it's standing on, you must have a heckuva wee dog!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  leonardo Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Man's and or Woman's best friend, a dog...a bonsai...a dog....how about both.
ciao.....Leonardo

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Dogsai11

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:41 pm

Is that a rough coat Jack Russell that Jim Has? I'll be.....

Dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 am

It sure is. She was spayed Wednesday. Here she is today.

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Bibi_i10

She doesn't know she's supposed to be hurting.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:56 am

Jim,
Very similar to one of my THREE JRT's.
My rough coat male Bogey. ( We also have a male and female smooth coat tri-colors)
Dale

P.S. Please Jim....take the pink sweater off that poor JRT. Sad

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Bogeyp11

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Roxybo10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Actually, that's a jumper for a 3-month-old human baby. It's ONLY on because we don't want that scallywag biting at her stitches. It'll be gone in a week or two.

Bogey's a cutie.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:38 pm

I amended the posts title to avoid confusion. So now I feel a bit better about posting mine.

Here are Lucy and Tess. Lucy is an Irish Jack Russel and she rules the pack!

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs TessandLucy
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Good looking JRT Kev!
Actually Jim.....I guess I shouldn't talk.... Embarassed

My 'youngest son'....Monte ( a couple years ago, #3 JRT)

Dale

Was blood meal and bone meal; Now Dogs Monte_10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next