Creating a bonsai garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:42 pm

I once read in a bonsai magazine that even though a diamond looks pretty good sitting in the dirt, it is enhanced so much more when set in gold or silver. It is the same with our little 'diamonds'. Our trees will be set off so much better in the proper surroundings.
So I decided to turn part of my backyard where I keep my trees into a bonsai garden this Spring. It took a couple of hundred bucks and some hard work, but I feel much better every day when I step through the Torii gate and into the garden now. See the before and after pics below. The 'before' pic was taken in March this year, and the 'after' pics were taken in June, just after I finished.
I still haven't stained the Torii gate yet as the pressure treated wood is still drying, but it will eventually be a cherry red stain with a black top piece.




leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Orion on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Really nice job; night and day difference.

Orion
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  drgonzo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:08 pm

Oh WOW! what a difference! Even in such a small setting thats a huge difference.

I fantasize often about doing a nice walk in display area with my trees. Unfortunately my resident white tail deer would walk in as well. But this year I built nice benches for all my trees up on my deck and even that alone added a lot.

Thank you for sharing
-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Jake16 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Fantastic, I love the Torii Gate. Its going to look amazing with the stain on it. I cant wait until I am able to build a garden for my future trees Smile.

Jake16
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Orion wrote:Really nice job; night and day difference.

Thank you!

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Jake16 wrote:Fantastic, I love the Torii Gate. Its going to look amazing with the stain on it. I cant wait until I am able to build a garden for my future trees Smile.

Thank you. I'll post a 'finished' pic of the stained gate after I do it.

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:55 pm

drgonzo wrote:Oh WOW! what a difference! Even in such a small setting thats a huge difference.

I fantasize often about doing a nice walk in display area with my trees. Unfortunately my resident white tail deer would walk in as well. But this year I built nice benches for all my trees up on my deck and even that alone added a lot.

Thank you for sharing
-Jay

I appreciate your comment. I'd like to see pics of your benches.

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Jkd2572 on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 pm

What a difference that made!

Jkd2572
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Neil Jaeger on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Great job on the garden. Just a few questions, is the foil around the pots to keep them cool? If so how well do you find this works? My second question is about the rocks you put on the ground. I was told to have grass, cause rocks get really hot and dont alow the trees to cool enuff.

Neil

Neil Jaeger
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:14 am

Very nice transformation!

Todd Ellis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Mitch Thomas on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:21 am

Great job and thanks for posting! I am planning on building a bonsai area much the same as yours at our new house next spring. Did you use any books or references for your design?

Thanks Mitch

Mitch Thomas
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Guest on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:24 am

Cool job! ThumbsUp

regards,
jun Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  marcus watts on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:05 am

nice work, makes all the difference.

there is a really good thread somewhere - "show us your benches" or something similar - many of the members display areas were on it i think.

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Neil Jaeger wrote:Great job on the garden. Just a few questions, is the foil around the pots to keep them cool? If so how well do you find this works? My second question is about the rocks you put on the ground. I was told to have grass, cause rocks get really hot and dont alow the trees to cool enuff.

Neil
Thanks, Neil. Yes the foil is to keep the ceramic pots cool. It makes a huge difference! An uncovered pot is hot to the touch (meaning your trees roots are cooking!), while an aluminum covered pot is barely warm to the touch. Plastic pots are not a problem, only ceramic ones. I know it's not pretty, but I think it saves a lot of trees in these South Georgia summers.
I can't tell that the area is any hotter with the white river rock. I do believe that the area is brighter, as the white rocks reflect light. And it is much neater and cleaner. I love it. It cost about $140 for 2 tons of gravel (including delivery), which is what it took to cover the 20X20ft. area about 1 inch.

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Great job and thanks for posting! I am planning on building a bonsai area much the same as yours at our new house next spring. Did you use any books or references for your design?

Thanks Mitch
Thanks Mitch, I went on line and just purused some example gardens. Then I just did it! I spent a little more time actually researching the specs for the Torii gate. The rest I just did without much thinking it through.

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

RE: creating a bonsai garden

Post  leslonsdale on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 pm

Thank you everyone who commented on my new garden. I will post another pic when I finally stain the Torii gate.
Les

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Pics of the Torii gate after staining

Post  leslonsdale on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:29 am

leslonsdale wrote:Thank you everyone who commented on my new garden. I will post another pic when I finally stain the Torii gate.
Les
Don't know if I remembered how to post the pics.

leslonsdale
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  John Quinn on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:30 am


_________________
"Eschew obfuscation"

John Quinn
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: Creating a bonsai garden

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:51 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum