Using Natural Fertilizer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using Natural Fertilizer

Post  Nemphis on Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:04 am

I've got myself a summer job at a chicken farm here close.
These days the farm is getting cleaned up,I'm transporting chicken dump with the tractor.
Is it good for bonsai trees?I've got an european olive and a plum one.
If it is good,which one is better,liquid or solid?

George

Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Natural Fertilizer

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Chicken poop needs to be piled and aged for several weeks before you use it.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:24 pm

JimLewis wrote:Chicken poop needs to be piled and aged for several weeks before you use it.

How manny weeks?

Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  littleacorns on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:14 pm

It needs to be very well aged - I'd say about six months, with rain and sunshine working on it. Fresh chicken poo is VERY high in ammonia and will burn any plant it comes into contact with affraid . I mean really burn, scorch, kill. While it's ageing, it's best mixed with other organic matter like straw to dilute it.

If you can get any old dried-out stuff, that's practically gone to powder, then that may be usable now, mixed with other organic stuff. But take care. It's powerful poo.

littleacorns

Back to top Go down

Post  littleacorns on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:22 pm

-- as for which is better, solid or liquid, well it's probably nicer to apply if you 'brew' some liquid, then use it diluted 1:10 with water (= 1 poo-juice, 10 water). Put the fresh or dried poo in an old hessian sack, hang it in a tub or barrel of water, and let it stand for several weeks, stirring and shaking the sack occasionally (when you can bear to). When the strong ammonia stink subsides and it just smells sort of poo-y, it's ready to use, diluted.

It's rather strong. I've used it (and aged/dried poo) on my garden and veg plot, but I'd hesitate to use it on bonsai. One pile of chiken poo would feed a whole bonsai forest.

littleacorns

Back to top Go down

Post  Nemphis on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:51 pm

littleacorns wrote:-- as for which is better, solid or liquid, well it's probably nicer to apply if you 'brew' some liquid, then use it diluted 1:10 with water (= 1 poo-juice, 10 water). Put the fresh or dried poo in an old hessian sack, hang it in a tub or barrel of water, and let it stand for several weeks, stirring and shaking the sack occasionally (when you can bear to). When the strong ammonia stink subsides and it just smells sort of poo-y, it's ready to use, diluted.

It's rather strong. I've used it (and aged/dried poo) on my garden and veg plot, but I'd hesitate to use it on bonsai. One pile of chiken poo would feed a whole bonsai forest.

I used well aged cow manure when I potted the trees,I put something around 10% or less in every pot when I do get them on.

Nemphis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum