cypress bonsai 5 months on

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  richard novis on Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:49 pm

hi all
i posted back in February about a cypress bonsai looking for advice. since then the tree has gone through an extensive restyling and i thought i would post a before and after pic so you can see how its coming on, it has a lot of filling out to do, the first wires have now been removed and i am slowly re wireing the branches into there final positions this will take some time as i want to get this right.

I want to plant the tree evan lower in its next re-pot but am a bit worried about it causing the jin to rot as a lot of this would be under the soil.

I am still looking for any advice and virtuals also pot advice for the future any help is very welcome

thank you

richard




richard novis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  littlebobby on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:31 pm

well I'm impressed. Very Happy

littlebobby
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:33 pm

The jin would be OK if you tilt the tree a bit to the right and forard.

Nice job. Which "cypress" is it?

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Barry M on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Overall, a very nice job - except that I do not like the jins.

Barry M
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Smithy on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:15 pm

I really like that.

Smithy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  richard novis on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 am

hi

thank you for the comments,

Jim: to be perfectly honest i really don't know what cypress this is i would guess at some type of false cypress!!
but am not sure help on this would be appreciated.the foliage has a very white underside tips curl down
new growth is the same colour as old hope this helps.

Barry:most of the jins were in place before i received this tree and i have been considering removing but am still
undecided. The one jin/Shari i really would like to remove is the very bottom left hand side but alas this will take a very long time to heal over.

i really would like some advice on its future pot as i never seem to get this right.!!

thank you again for any comments and advice.

cheers

richard


Last edited by richard novis on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

richard novis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  DMC on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:04 pm

Well, seems like a thuja (90% sure), or a chamaeciparis (remaining 10%) but a close up of branches would help with ID. Nice tree.

DMC
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  richard novis on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 pm

Well, seems like a thuja (90% sure), or a chamaeciparis (remaining 10%) but a close up of branches would help with ID. Nice tree.

so i may have to re-name this post cedar bonsai.

i when i first received this tree i was torn between cedar or cypress for its i.d ,after a little wile searching for pics online i came to the conclusion it was some type of cypress and left it there,

i will take another pic of the branches asap to get a firm i.d thanks for they help.

kind regards

richard

richard novis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Stone Monkey on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:42 am

Hi Richard

I have done a couple of pot virtuals from 3 pots I have made in the past. Unfortunately I cant post them at work so I will upload them tonight when I get home

Regards

Andy

Stone Monkey
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  richard novis on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:06 pm

here is a pic of the foliage to help with tree i.d hope this helps

look forward to seeing virts stone monkey



thanks again

Richard

richard novis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Stone Monkey on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:08 pm

Richard

Some food for thought







You dont want anything deeper than the thickness of the base of the trunk other wise the tree will look swamped by a deep pot.
Apologies for the poor virtuals

All the best

Andy

Stone Monkey
Member


Back to top Go down

ID guess

Post  gman on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 pm

Could it be from north America??? ………Eastern White Cedar- Thuja occidentalis or Western redcedar (Thuja plicata) is a species of Thuja, an evergreen coniferous tree in the cypress family Cupressaceae...goggle for photos of foliage.
G

gman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  richard novis on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:09 pm

i have come to the conclusion its some type of eastern white cedar as the foliage mostly resembles this species.

thankyou very much for the pot virtuals i really like the third one suits the tree alot.

thankyou again

richard

richard novis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  fiona on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Richard, you didn't tell us in either of your posts about this tree where you got the tree. Was it a garden centre/nursery or did you get it from someone? Garden centres tend to stock a vast array of similar looking plants. Yours seems to be more yellow in colour from the pics which makes me think something like Thuja Rheingold which is a cultivar of occidentalis as readily available in garden centres. If you're really desperate to get a positive ID, take it to a botanic gardens. Sometimes looking at books is confusing and the experts will do all the little tricks like crushing the foliage and getting the scent off it. You'd be amazed how many different scents there are and how helpful it is in telling trees apart.

fiona
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Barry M on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:42 pm

"thankyou very much for the pot virtuals i really like the third one suits the tree alot."

I very much agree regarding that third pot.

Barry M
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: cypress bonsai 5 months on

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:39 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum