Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders

+5
Fore
drgonzo
marcus watts
Steven
coh
9 posters

Go down

2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders Empty 2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders

Post  coh Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Found this video on another forum, thought people would be interested. Decided to start a new thread rather than add it to the other BCI thread, but moderators, feel free to combine them if you prefer.

Ryan Neil/Marc Noelanders critique of 2012 BCI/ABS Show
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders Empty Re: 2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders

Post  Steven Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Interesting clip, definitely enlightened me on composition and displaying
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders Empty Re: 2012 BCI/ABS Show critique - Neil/Noelanders

Post  marcus watts Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 pm

what a good hour and a half........there is always a lot to learn in this hobby - what came through to me was dont waste time showing trees that are not yet ready, and dont clutter and confuse the display. plus lots of little hints about how a professional show organiser thinks.

excelent film, thanks
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:11 am

What a GREAT video Chris, well found and thanks for putting this up in its own thread where we could find it!

One thing that strikes me is the breadth and depth of the knowledge Marc And Neil have, and the speed and accuracy with which they convey it. Like they could do it in their sleep.

I was a part of a conversation with both these men at the Rochester show as they were sizing up the merits of a pre-bonsai and its even more impressive to hear the two of them play off each other in person.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Very informative Chris, Thanks for posting!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for sharing! I picked up lots of good pointers and well worth the time watching it.

I love Marc's "strip tease" analogy LOL.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Do you think the blatant honesty about the quality (or lack of at times) of various elements was recieved well?...Bluntness, pulling no punches etc is a hard way to learn but the fastest way to learn. Ryans description of the 'right to display' being earnt with time and experience was probably the best way I've ever heard the subject discussed, and later on Mark pointing out a tree that looked ok from back where the camera was filming was actually poorly ramified, full of crossing branches and should not even be there...as a learning experience it certainly got the point home quicker I think.

The accents over here are getting more creative and 'busy' atm - lots of plant species mixed in the pot, mini bronze statues, many creative details etc....(and I put a few pots like this together earlier in the year as they are a bit of fun to do), but then you hear the opinion of the selector and main man of Europes largest and most high profile show stating how all the extra clutter is detracting from the main point of having the show.......the trees.........I have to admit 'simplicity and relaxed' will be the aim of my tree selection pictures for the next Noelanders Laughing . He is 100% right too - at out last club meeting I took a nice but normal tree and a mixed plant accent with lovely little flowers, bits of this and that....and the pot of weeds got more oohs and aaahs and comments ! hahaha

lots to learn in this film, cant wait to meet them for real

marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I've seen a few other show critque videos by Ryan and they are always entertaining and educational. Someone posted these on a thread from last fall, if you're interested - from the Midwest Bonsai Society show. Original thread is 34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition.

coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  reddog Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm

marcus watts wrote:Do you think the blatant honesty about the quality (or lack of at times) of various elements was recieved well?...Bluntness, pulling no punches etc is a hard way to learn but the fastest way to learn. Ryans description of the 'right to display' being earnt with time and experience was probably the best way I've ever heard the subject discussed, and later on Mark pointing out a tree that looked ok from back where the camera was filming was actually poorly ramified, full of crossing branches and should not even be there...as a learning experience it certainly got the point home quicker I think.

lots to learn in this film, cant wait to meet them for real

marcus

The feedback and critque of the bci/abs show was excellent. Marc's candor is just what Americans need in order to improve the quality of trees and displays. I saw Ryan wince a couple of times with the bluntness Marc's comments but I thoroughly enjoyed their message. I was not impressed with the venue but it may have been better in person. I would like to see more candid European critiques in the future of American trees and shows.

reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 am

Both Ryan and Marc are excellent Artists and the information and opinions they shared were valid but if any of it came as a shock you have not been doing your homework. What Americans and Europeans need, generally speaking, is more study and less spoon feeding.
It might be a good idea to attend top exhibits in USA before talking with authority about American Bonsai today.

Mark

Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Ryan Neil has a class/study group of 5 students in the seattle area this year. next year he will add a second class at the beginning of the new year. i'm second on the list for that group. he meets all day, 4X a year. What I was impressed with after monitoring his class, his students arrive ahead of class and are ready to go at the start. They don't go out for lunch
but carry a sack lunch, which is quickly consumed and back to work. Instead of leaving early for various reasons everyone stays until the class ends at 5 pm. It's not for any other reason then they want every minute of his time to learn. Most of his first class have come from decades of other teachers,
who run a more relaxed program. They do 6 classes a year for the same price, start when everyone gets there and have close to a hr and a half lunch at a distant restaurant. My only fear is coming up with yamadori material to work with, worthy of his level.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:39 pm

dick benbow wrote:Most of his first class have come from decades of other teachers,
who run a more relaxed program.

Something that strikes me about Ryan is his intensity of purpose. He reminds me of someone who has been to boot camp and spent years in the service. Yet with all this ferocity of intent he will break here and there, smile and laugh, then return back into focus, and you realize that it's not himself that he takes so deadly seriously, it's his profession. Thats a conclusion I was able to reach only after actually seeing him in person.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:50 pm

drgonzo wrote:Something that strikes me about Ryan is his intensity of purpose. He reminds me of someone who has been to boot camp and spent years in the service. Yet with all this ferocity of intent he will break here and there, smile and laugh, then return back into focus, and you realize that it's not himself that he takes so deadly seriously, it's his profession. Thats a conclusion I was able to reach only after actually seeing him in person.
He is indeed a rare & gifted person. Got the skills (bonsai and people), proper training & knowledge, right attitude, physical stamina, charisma, and still remained humble. On top of that, he can impart his knowledge well too!

How I wish I can afford one of his classes...or that our bonsai club be able to book him. Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down