Update of arborvitae(was in questions)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Update of arborvitae(was in questions)

Post  Jake16 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Yeah I knew richmond had some thing, its just a little far, im not liking the summers right now either, its been about 106 every day. The trees are having a fake autum and the new growth on many trees are burning up

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:00 pm

coh wrote:
Steven wrote:Jake,
Have you looked for a club in your area? With my schedule I have not been able to attend and take advantage of my local club here in cville...

Even if you can't make regular meetings, many clubs host beginners workshops (as well as other workshops), often on weekends. I don't know how long you've been doing this or how much experience you have (only about 2 years for me), but I've found there's nothing like hands-on learning guided by experienced bonsai growers, especially for things like wiring, potting, etc.

BTW, before moving to NY, I lived in Powhatan for about 5 years. Miss the winters, the summers...not so much!

Chris,
Thanks, between my schedule and my wife's, meetings just have not seemed to work out(hoping to make this weekend my first after 2 years of trying to make it lol) I do however take advantage of any local shows/exhibits and courses when they come up so I still get my hands on, or front row experience,which as I suggested definitely helps with the learning process. It's funny, I actually moved here from NY a few years ago lol, loved the winters there not big on the summers either way. Where abouts in NY did you relocate too, are you familiar with Pfmbonsai? I have been wanting to see some actual pictures of her blended tree projects as I know she has been using this technique for a while from what I have heard.

Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Just wanted to let every body know that this tree is now in the ground and I will not be touching it for awhile Smile .

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:53 pm

I went the self taught route for 25 years, books & internet, yes back then there were books. After I realized my 25 year old pomegranate was still an ugly stick in a pot. I joined the Milwaukee Bonsai Soc. And now the tree is still ugly, but no longer looks like a stick in pot. My ponderosa pines would not have survived without the help from the MBS. Bonsai is a 3D art, live in person eyes and hands on, even if it is only once or twice a year, really helps make sense out of technique from the books. One day, bring your own tree sessions with visiting teachers were the best for me, particularly with Ted Mattson, Marty Schmallengberg and Colin Lewis. Seeing a Bonsai show really helps me stay inspired to keep at it, especially when I am discouraged with my own progress

Remember to post photos of this tree in the future. Thanks

Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum