What are these trees ?

Tree one

Tree two

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Re: (2) Tree I.D.

Post  coh on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:35 am

tree 1, don't know.

tree 2, looks like pear...probably callery pear. See, for example, callery pear thread

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks coh,

Thats exactly what it looks like. Smile

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 am

#1 Hickory we would call it "Pig Nut Hickory" it grows on my sandhills as a scrub tree.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 am

Thanks Billy,

It just looks nice and I was thinking about air layering it.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:10 am

Just to add some contrast to Billys sand hills, up here Pig nut hickories can grow to 70 feet, good firewood, easier to split then shagbark, still a bear though.

Not a species that I would suggest for bonsai for Many reasons, leaves, growth habit, tap roots..etc.
-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 am

I'd say the second tree could also be a Bradford Pear. They're planted in all the yards in my neighborhood. Awful, smelly trees, that come crashing down in the slightest of storms Mad

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:39 am

Bradford pear is a cultivar of callery pear. And yes, probably the most over-planted tree I have ever seen.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:52 am

coh wrote:Bradford pear is a cultivar of callery pear. And yes, probably the most over-planted tree I have ever seen.

Oops, good point Very Happy After those bad tornado winds we east-coasters just experienced this weekend, there were Bradfords laying everywhere. They're ridiculously weak.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks for the posts. Yeah my mom planted four in our yard so I agree with the over planting. How about the pear tree? Is that ok for bonsai?

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 am

Yes, Mother Nature is trying to tell us something! I think winter ice storms have the same effect on them.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  coh on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 am

Jake16 wrote:Thanks for the posts. Yeah my mom planted four in our yard so I agree with the over planting. How about the pear tree? Is that ok for bonsai?

I think they're "OK". I haven't been working with mine long enough to have much experience. However, they are rather coarse growers which probably means a fairly large tree will be needed.

coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Oh I see, well maybe ill see how it does at shohin since I already have an air layer on it.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Jake16 wrote:Oh I see, well maybe ill see how it does at shohin since I already have an air layer on it.

I don't think I'd shoot for shohin on these. From what I've seen, the leaves don't reduce too well, and as Chris mentioned, they're coarse growers. A larger tree would be necessary.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:55 pm

The only problem with that is I have a tree problem (as many of us do Smile ) and I dont have room for a big tree. Also if the air layer takes I will just see what happens with the tree and its development.

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Here is a pear bonsai I've been working on for some years now. Pyrus pyrafolia. 10 or 11 inches tall.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Jim,

Thats an amazing tree that you have, I would love to see the front in leaf. What kind of pear is that ?

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Jake, Jim already said it's a Pyrus pyrafolia.

Last edited by Kev Bailey on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm

Whoops Smile sorry its been a long day

Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:26 am

Sponsored content