Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Callus on an Air layer (good/bad?)

+2
coh
Jake16
6 posters

Go down

Callus on an Air layer (good/bad?) Empty Callus on an Air layer (good/bad?)

Post  Jake16 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:19 pm

I have an air layer on an elm and when I looked at it today It has this "callus" around the top part of the cut. I cant remember if I read that this is good or not. Also I didnt have any sphagnum moss so I just put a mixture of potting soil and sand in the tin foil. Help please. Smile
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Callus on an Air layer (good/bad?) Empty Re: Callus on an Air layer (good/bad?)

Post  coh Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:28 am

Callus tissue forms first, roots then come from the callus. Just have to make sure the callus doesn't completely over-grow the gap you cut (it sometimes does, especially if you didn't cut a wide enough gap).

Much information available on the internet: google air layer callus
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 am

Thanks again,

I saw that in one place but I just wanted to make sure. Thats the only one of my air layers that looks like its doing any thing.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:12 pm

Just be patient. All good things need time. This also goes for air-layers. Any rooting under 6 weeks is very quick. Some junipers you may need over a year before rooting becomes evident. The best thing is to not look at the stem. Just leave it there. If you place a plastic bag around the soil, and then a cover of something that stops the light such as tin foil, you can see the roots growig agains the plastic, and you do not need to distub the soil
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:55 pm

Based upon experienced advise I believe its necessary to open the layer up about a month after first setting it to check that all is well. I opened both my layers today and both needed something done, one needed the xylem re-scraped, the other needed the callus re-wounded. Both got new orchid moss. You can't quite set it and forget it.

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:52 am

There are pros and cons to looking and/or not looking. If the roots seem to be growing slowly, and one looks by removing the rooting medium "around", you can break fine roots which are forming and set the process back. If you can see roots through the plastic then you don't need to look any further and not risk breaking the new roots. At least this has been my experience. I have tried "re-scraping" and applying new hormone and moss, etc, when no roots were present, and the results were poor. I think this is because the time to create new airlayers has passed. It is essentially creating a new airlayer at the wrong time of the year.
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 pm

Ok so I just had to fix my oak air layer because ants kept moving the soil away from the cut. I saw these white "bulges" coming from the cut. Is this the beginning of a callus or roots?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  0soyoung Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 pm

Jake16 wrote:Ok so I just had to fix my oak air layer because ants kept moving the soil away from the cut. I saw these white "bulges" coming from the cut. Is this the beginning of a callus or roots?

The beginning of roots.
Congratulations!
0soyoung
0soyoung

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 pm

oooohhhhhhhh yeah Very Happy Thanks for the reply I thought this air layer was done for.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down