Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago?

+4
coh
bonsaisr
Lost2301
Neil-Dellinger
8 posters

Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago?

Post  Neil-Dellinger Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Just curious if anyone went. Seems like it would have been a fun event (Marc Noleanders, Ryan Neil, Dan Robinson, etc....)

Just curious.

Neil-Dellinger

Back to top Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Re: Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago?

Post  Lost2301 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:52 am

The show was really great. All the workshops were good and the demo's to. Vendors were really great. Sara Rayner was there and sold a huge amount of pots. Here are some photo's of the trees. I might add more if people are interested in seeing more. There were a lot of trees and stones in the show.

Mike

Chinese Elm
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 020_c_10

Shimpaku Juniper - Best In Show Award
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 022_sh10

Japanese Red Pine - Best In Show Award
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 024_ja10

Stones
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 02610

Stones
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 02710

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 02810

Very Large Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 029_la10

Hackberry
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 031_ha10

Redwood
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 032_re10

Bougainvillea - Donated by Dan Robinson to the new Bonsai Pavilion at the Denver Botanical Gardens
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 034_bo10

Japenese White Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 036_ja10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 037_st10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 039_co10

Colorado Blue Spurce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 041_co10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 042_co10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 044_co10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 04510

Japenese Black Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 046_ja10

Scrub Oak
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 048_sc10

Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Re: Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago?

Post  Lost2301 Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:13 am

Stones
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 04910

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05010

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05111

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05410

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05510

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05610

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05710

Burning Bush Europa - Started from a seed
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 058_bu10

Stones
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 05910

Stones
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 06010

Stone - Best In Show
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 061_st10

Special Display
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 06210

Special Display
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 06410

Special Display - Created from forest fire remains.
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 08210

Stone - Found in the Poudre River in Colorado and weighs 60 lbs. Nothing has been done to the stone. My favorite in the show.
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 06310
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Denver ABS/BCI Show

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:14 pm

https://servimg.com/view/17306828/69

Nah, that's not a stone; it's a roc's egg. If you don't believe me, it's mentioned in the Talmud. study

On the whole, I enjoyed the convention. Unfortunately, I didn't get to any of the demonstrations. The show was interesting. I had just been to the National, so I can't comment too much. I enjoyed seeing some unusual species, like the gambrel oak. The labeling could have been better. Yamadori is not a bonsai style.
The food was overpriced, but that is a common problem with conventions. The host club usually can't help it.
I had a very successful workshop, outside of a lighting problem. Came home with a nice little Colorado blue spruce & some interesting pots. Having a packing company in the vendor room was an excellent idea.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Please post more photos of individual trees if you have them! Really enjoyed these, especially some of the colorado blue spruce...do you have any idea about how tall this one was?

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Spruce10

bonsaisr wrote:
The show was interesting. I had just been to the National, so I can't comment too much.
Why so cryptic? If you've been to both shows, you're in the perfect position to comment...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Re: Can anyone report on the Denver BSA/BCI show?

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 pm

One was a national show of primarily the top artists in North America, basically a landmark professional show. The Denver show was regional, primarily from the West. Most of the artists were amateurs. By his own account, one of them had never exhibited before. As far as staging was concerned, the Denver show was pleasant. I won't comment on the overall quality of the trees. It was a very nice regional show. You can't compare the two shows.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  ang3lfir3 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:17 pm

I can't comment too much on the workshops except to say what I saw people bringing out of them looked really good ...
My wife and I assisted Daniel w/ his two workshops and many participants took a die grinder to a tree for the first time (always love that look of excitement) ... remember to gnarl those branches too!!

I spent most of my time in the vendor area or chatting with other artists around the convention ... great conversations with some really enthusiastic people ... put a few more faces to some names and met some real treasures in the bonsai world

Being able to buy large pots from Sara Rayner in person was wonderful ... definitely something we are missing on the left coast ... The vendor area was full of collected local material from several vendors .... excellent stuff all around !!! Even Ken Mcleod was there with his fabulous suiseki !!

the demos were interesting .... I assisted Daniel Robinson in his demo which started after dinner (7:30) .... we stopped for the evening at 10:30pm .... the Next day Daniel continued to finish the tree down to fine wiring and detail carving ... We (my wife and I) had to leave that morning so we didn't see it completed but I can imagine it was gorgeous...

The display was quite nice for the area ... some really nice trees and many of them native to the Rocky Mountains .... overall I enjoyed it

as Iris said ... having a packing company in the vendor area ..... that was brilliant!!!
ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:32 pm

Iris, thanks for the additional info about the show...I appreciate it.

Amateur or not, some of the posted trees look pretty fine to me!

coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:25 pm

coh wrote:Please post more photos of individual trees if you have them! Really enjoyed these, especially some of the colorado blue spruce...do you have any idea about how tall this one was?

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Spruce10

bonsaisr wrote:
The show was interesting. I had just been to the National, so I can't comment too much.
Why so cryptic? If you've been to both shows, you're in the perfect position to comment...

I am guessing around 36 inches, maybe more.

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:51 pm

very interesting read and have to say wow to some of those stones - very high quality pieces.

On a personal note I think it a tiny pity that the juniper that came from commercially mass produced material took a 'best' award when the quality of a couple of those native collected spruces looks so incredibly high. Absolutely nothing against the owner or styling, he didnt judge it of course, just that the final message has said 'imported material and species are still better', when I think we have seen a tree or two at least equal. (Unless a mountain tree won a best native in show award maybe?)

Well done Iris for keeping the two shows you visited seperated - not easy to do but essential to get the best out of every occassion, and you came home with a spruce too - they certainly seem to be the pick of the area for sure.

nice pictures

Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Here are the last of the photo's.

Mike

Japenese White Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 065_ja10

Bristlecone Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 066_br10

Chinese Elm
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 067_ch10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 06810

Bosnian grafted on Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 069_bo10

Barberry - Concord
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 071_co10

Redwood
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 072_re10

Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 073_po10

Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 075_po10

Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 076_po10

Corkbark Elm - Varigated
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 077_va10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 07810

Aspen - Best In Show
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 079_as10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 080_co10

Elephant Bush
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 081_el10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 083_co10

Natal Plum
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 085_na10

Beech - American
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 086_am10

Shimpaku Juniper
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 090_sh10

Colorado Blue Spruce
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 091_co10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 09310

Chinese Elm
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 094_ch10

Colorado Blue Spruce - Best In Show
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 095_co10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 09610

Pyrcantha
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 097_py10

Pine - Unknown
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 098_un10

Trident Maple
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 099_tr10

Stone
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 10010

Shohin Display
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 10111

Amur Maple
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 103_am10

Ponderosa Pine
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 104_po10

Larch - American
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 105_la10

Sweetgum
Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? 106_sw10

Last edited by Lost2301 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 pm

marcus watts wrote:very interesting read and have to say wow to some of those stones - very high quality pieces.

On a personal note I think it a tiny pity that the juniper that came from commercially mass produced material took a 'best' award when the quality of a couple of those native collected spruces looks so incredibly high. Absolutely nothing against the owner or styling, he didnt judge it of course, just that the final message has said 'imported material and species are still better', when I think we have seen a tree or two at least equal. (Unless a mountain tree won a best native in show award maybe?)

Well done Iris for keeping the two shows you visited seperated - not easy to do but essential to get the best out of every occassion, and you came home with a spruce too - they certainly seem to be the pick of the area for sure.

nice pictures

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I do not believe the Shimpaku Juniper was imported. It was grown in California by an artist who has won awards in the Rochester National show in Buffalo.

The tree was later sold.

Mike

Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago? Empty Reply with quote Re: Can anyone report on the Denver BCI show 2 weeks ago?

Post  Robert J. Baran Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 am

The chrysanthemum stone (under the Burning Bush Europa) is an educational wonder: someone carved away the darker matrix to reveal the depth and range of the lighter-color inclusion. According to Dr. Tom Elias, that carving severely lowered the financial value of this stone. However, I feel that it increased the stone's educational value several-fold. No previous text has hinted at the depth and range of the inclusions in these stones.

The cliff stone (two under the Shimpaku juniper) is my personal favorite. While not hard enough to be a suiseki, it symbolizes any number of weathered buttes around the globe. Shining a reddish light on it would direct a viewer to Utah canyons -- or maybe the Middle East. Did you catch a glimpse of Indiana Jones and his father riding between the narrow openings in the cliff walls? (Imaginatively speaking, of course...)

Robert
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 am

Robert J. Baran wrote:The chrysanthemum stone (under the Burning Bush Europa) is an educational wonder: someone carved away the darker matrix to reveal the depth and range of the lighter-color inclusion. According to Dr. Tom Elias, that carving severely lowered the financial value of this stone. However, I feel that it increased the stone's educational value several-fold. No previous text has hinted at the depth and range of the inclusions in these stones.

The cliff stone (two under the Shimpaku juniper) is my personal favorite. While not hard enough to be a suiseki, it symbolizes any number of weathered buttes around the globe. Shining a reddish light on it would direct a viewer to Utah canyons -- or maybe the Middle East. Did you catch a glimpse of Indiana Jones and his father riding between the narrow openings in the cliff walls? (Imaginatively speaking, of course...)

Robert

I talked to the owner of the chrysanthemum stone and it came from China. There is a hollow in the stone that does not show up in the picture. The white backround is not showing it. I liked this stone allot. It was purchased for around $300 plus shipping.

I like the cliff stone to.

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:10 pm

As an amature, I certainly enjoyed the trees and the stones. Thank you so much for posting!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down