wet weather leaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wet weather leaching

Post  marcus watts on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:32 am

hi,

yesterday on the radio during an agricultural piece one of the UK's largest growers was talking about the excessive rainfall this year having leached out all the nutrients from the soil - these were huge vegetable growers who are having major problems as the crops are just sitting there - living but not growing...........starting to sound familiar to a lot of European bonsai growers ? The excess water had taken the fertilisers down through the soil or off the fields completely and this is mirroring what i am seeing in my trees. many broadleaf trees are quite pale atm as the organic feeds are not getting high enough temperatures (no mould forming - the essential indicator in my book that they are breaking down) so I have started adding chemical feeds in addition for the first time in years.

it is certainly proving you cant follow a fixed 'set in stone' monthly schedule...... And it is so noticable as i moved a white pine that was recovering from an early spring fungal outbreak and a defoliated trident into an open doored cold greenhouse and they have both gone mad with growth compared to the wet trees outside. Chatting at my favorite northern bonsai nursery last week we were thinking for best controlable results the outside tree benches should be covered to divert rain away and i can certainly see the benefits.

anyone else increasing the fertilisers to combat the rain ?

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Re: wet weather leaching

Post  Rui Marques on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 am

Hi Marcus,

The same is happening in Portugal, not enough warm temperatures during all day (higher temp. during day and cool temp. at night).

"Chatting at my favorite northern bonsai nursery last week..." which is...?

Regards.
Rui

Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Rui Marques wrote:

"Chatting at my favorite northern bonsai nursery last week..." which is...?

Regards.
Rui

Hi Rui, i have just sold a japanese white beech - fagus crenata, to a buyer in Portugal......at least the weather will be similar so it can acclimatise when it arrives.

My favorite bonsai nursery of choice is Willowbog - it is 505 miles from my house, but only 45 miles from my wifes parents house.......so we visit them more often than normal Very Happy Razz Smile Twisted Evil The standard of the trees available, the effort put in to all aspects of the nursery and the level of teaching and refinement there is higher than all the other nurseries I have visited so far........I think if you set up business in the absolute total wilderness middle of nowhere (as Peter has) you need something extra to make it work, and this bonsai center certainly has the extra something.

thanks Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

You know Marcus Its because of leaching that I have tried switching to chemical time release ferts top dressed on the pots.

My soil looses so much Potassium that in order to replace it (and Mn) I need to basically over fertilize if I use the standard chemical ferts. So I tried the slow release with micros to try and always have a little fertilizer with every watering to help with this problem. So far good results. My problem isn't rain per se its my super free draining Turface and the heat of summer prompting frequent waterings.

-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm

thanks Jay
i have virtually moved to the same - an 8 week slow release small granule with boosted Mg that is scattered on all pots along side my organic blood, fish, kelp etc powdered T bag recipe. On top of this I'm using Chempak 2 high nitrogen once a week on trees i want to burst more leafy growth on Wink

i live in a mild area renowned for wet winters so my soil is made from very very dry ingredients but this year it is a wet summer too - i know the soil is leaching as i have several pines that were planned for superfeeding and they are extending so slowly that the candles are not big enough to remove this year.

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:31 pm

The other issue that compounds the problem is that unless you get some good sun and warm temps, the trees transpiration stream is reduced and thus even less nutriment is moving up into the growth tips.
-Jay

drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:39 pm

No rain in my part for almost 2 months now.. it's so strange how the grass always seems greener! ..so to speak..

JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum