Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

+7
yamasuri
Seth Ellwood
Jay Wilson
Steven
R3mco
Rui Marques
Gary Swiech
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas - Page 2 Empty Re: A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

Post  plant_dr Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:22 pm

I like the copper color of the leaves this year. It reminds me of a beech tree. Very Happy

plant_dr

Back to top Go down

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas - Page 2 Empty Re: A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

Post  Rui Marques Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 pm

Doing a search on when is the best time to prune my elm and looked to this thread that i really loved.

Gary, how is this zelcova going on?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Gary, how is this Zelkova going on?

Not well. I lost the whole top of the tree this last winter along with many of my other bonsai. Although I overwintered them in the same manner, at 28ºF, we had an unusually
harsh Winter with a stretch of 30 days of below 0ºF temperatures and I had great losses.

I just went out and snapped a photo of this Zelkova. I'm just glad the trunk survived.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas - Page 2 Zelkov10

I'm a little heartbroken but I'll survive along with the tree. I'm looking forward to restyling it, it's the only way way for me to look at it.

I re-potted it and I'm still waiting to see what buds I can use before I prune it back and seal the cuts.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  iant Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:51 am

Sorry to hear about the losses. No hay mal que por bien no venga. Hopefully you can use the opportunity to fix anything you were considering improving before. I hope it bounces back well.
Ian

iant

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Such a beauty it was, so glad you did such a documentation on it. One day it'll be better than it was...
At least you don't have any trunk building to do to slow you down this time.

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm

I know, the trunk is a good one and the basic structure is good. That's sometimes what happens in Bonsai. It will come back in spades.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Gary,
I was sad to know what happened.

Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:58 am

Sorry for lost of crown. Good thing is you still have nice trunk and base of brunches. Now you just need good budding and shouldn't take long the tree to recover back. Wish you good luck.
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Actually it may take a couple of years to reestablish the secondary branching and then work on the tertiary branching, it will be fun. I'm just glad the trunk is alive! It's perfectly
round with no scars. I grew this from a seedling and it seems I've had it forever.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2