Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

+7
yamasuri
Seth Ellwood
Jay Wilson
Steven
R3mco
Rui Marques
Gary Swiech
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Empty A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:03 pm

I started this Zelkova as a as small seedling, less than the size of a pencil back sometime in the 1980's.

Pot grown from the start.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova-mine6-6-2-12-01

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1leafprune612-1

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1leafprune612-3

now for some pruning

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1leafprune612-4

I'll be pruning it over the next two weeks when the new leaves will appear.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Empty Re: A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

Post  Rui Marques Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 am

Very good, indeed!!

Did you made a total defoliation?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Empty Re: A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Yes this was a total defoliation. All the leaves came off. A 2 hour job.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  R3mco Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Very nice Zelkova!

How does the tree react to a total defoliation? Does it spawn a lot of leafs on the inner branches?
R3mco
R3mco

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:17 pm

SWEET! Love it, gives me hope for the zelkova seedlings I started this year, someday.....far, far away lol
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:36 am

How does the tree react to a total defoliation? Does it spawn a lot of leafs on the inner branches?

Not a lot. Zelkova bonsai, so long as they're healthy of course, really need to be leaf pruned by this time of the year.

Now some years I pinch a lot in the spring but this year I pretty much let it grow to gain a little trunk size.

Zelkova bonsai are very apical domanant. After total defoliation the upper branches are dominant and grow first, this is when I will pinch them this year, then see how much
growth it's pushing to the bottom, where it still needs growth. The inner growth buds will pop also so you have to carefully select them and rub the others off.

I here they strip them twice a year in warmer climates than the Middle of Wisconsin.

You can get 2 years growth in 1 year basically.

I'll post some pictures I took today maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Gary Swiech on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:50 pm

These 3 pictures are of the Zelkova after some pruning that has taken place since the leaf pruning.

I do an initial pruning of the outside right after leaf pruning and then put it on the bench by the garage door so I can snip a little at a time.

One of the issues with Zelkova is keeping it in scale. The trunk divides 9" (22.86cm) above the nebari and I usually maintain the tree at 27" (68.58cm),

It is now 24" after pruning. I've cut back some heavier branches in the top of the tree for balance and to shoot energy to the lower branches.

When the new leaves start to sprout I will pinch them and the tree will be at 27" once more, with smaller leaves and hopefully great orange Fall color.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zekova-prune6-28-12-01

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1prune612-4

The back of the tree

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zekova-prune6-28-12-02back

I'll post more as the process continues.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Nice Gary. My kind of tree.

Edit: I'm curious. How do you remove the leaves? Pull/cut each one or? Thanks.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:27 pm

I'm curious. How do you remove the leaves? Pull/cut each one or? Thanks.

All the books I read said I should pick them off or cut them off so the secondary buds won't be damaged.
That would take a long, long time.

I take a branch in my fingers at the base of the branch and lightly rip the leaves off, then clean up with a scissors or my finger tips.

I don't have a problem with buds coming off on my hands, just leaves.

Here are some pictures of the same tree through the years:

Fall 1999

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova-1999

Fall 2002

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas ZelkovaFall2002

Fall 2003

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova01Fall2003

After leaf picking 2003

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova_bare_11-14-03

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova_crown02_11-14-03

Summer 2003

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova_crown02_11-14-03

It's changed a lot over the years. I lost the whole top going up and had to replace it with the side branches by tying the up. Long process.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Wilson Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 pm

Gary Swiech wrote:

I take a branch in my fingers at the base of the branch and lightly rip the leaves off, then clean up with a scissors or my finger tips.

That's how I do it on my elms. With as fine a ramification as your tree has, I can see it taking awhile.
Thanks for the info and the pictures through the years.
Jay Wilson
Jay Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Your welcome. Anytime.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Here is the same Zelkova today. July 5, 2012

So it budded after leaf pruning in 6 days after leaf pruning.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1-7-5-012-01

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkova1-7-5-012-02

It's 100ºF today. Hot

I'll be gone until Monday.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 am

Nice example of zelkova .

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 am

Not only Zelcova. Gary has some other trees that deserves a post. Very Happy
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm

I'll post a few more trees when I take pictures again.

The hot 100ºF temperatures we have been experiencing day after day have been a challenge
keeping up.

It's cooled today. Here are some pictures of the Zelkova now and a yamadori Green Mound juniper that's in need of thinning, pinching and some lime sulfur.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas AcvZu0UP A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas AbxwRITf A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas AdjeEN4p A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Adwi9gWA A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas AbxZrEtU A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas AckbqYYx
Free Image Hosting by imgbox.com
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:12 pm

What a beauty Juniper. Did you collect by yourself? Since when in your training?
Regards Vlad
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks Vlad.

Did you collect by yourself?

It's a funny story. I used to be in the Landscaping business for 30 years. Anyways I was driving my pickup truck through our small city of 27,000 people and the city

workers were removing a planting of about 30 Juniperus procumbens"nana" to put in a new planting of some sort. I estimate the planting of these junipers was probably done in the

late 1960's to early 1970's.

They were laying on the sidewalk in 90ºF-32.2ºC and I asked if I could have them. I took the 6 or 7 of the ones I thought had a chance and might survive.

They came from a sandy place in in the city and I brought them home and got the roots in water and potted them up in pumice and sand. This is the only one to survive.

Since when in your training?

This happened 1997. So it's been with me for 15 years.

I'm glad you like it.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:03 am

There is always question....if they survive? ....Landscaper....well this is great chance to collect some great "neghbourdori"....problem is at many cases if you show you interested ....they grab the chance and ask for money....everybody wants to make a buck. My source is nursery and since owner saw my garden he always give me good discount.
Soon I'll get ready some of my pictures and will start my thread.
Regards Vlad
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy56 Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 am

Good stuff. I love a white pot too.
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:50 pm

I look forward to it Vlad.

As far as the Zelkova pot. I had it in a cobalt blue rectangle the same size as the white pot. I like the white pot better also.

If I find a better white pot, that I can afford I may buy one, but I haven't had good luck. Or maybe a cream color?
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi Gary,

How about showing us your zelcova fall colors, uh?

Thanks
Rui
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Here is a picture of that Zelkova in Fall. Not very good color this Fall, it usually turns a brilliant orange color but we had a hard freeze and it kind of just

turned an orange brown this year.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkov10
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Here's a picture I took of this Zelkova this morning bare.

Temperatures have consistently been in the 28ºF/-2ºC range for a week or so, so they are in their Winter home as of this last weekend.

A few images of Leaf pruning one of my Zelkovas Zelkov11
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 am

Hi,
Despite the brown color, i like this zelcova a lot !!

What are you planning to do next?
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks Rui.

What are you planning to do next?

I'm not quite sure how to answer your question Rui.

It will go back into it's Winter protection room where I keep the temperature around 28ºF/-2ºC and since it was repotted this Spring,

it will be repotted the following Spring. This Bonsai gets repotted every 2 years.

Does that answer your question or do you mean something else when you say "What are you planning to do next?"

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next