Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satsuki quandry

3 posters

Go down

Satsuki quandry Empty Satsuki quandry

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 pm

I am located in the northern area of Zone 6....I have known that my azalea has needed repotted this year, but am just now able to address it. It finished flowering in late June/early July. I have already removed all the spent blooms. New growth has begun but is somewhat sporadic and quite slow coming on. I am wondering if it is too late for this year, but am also questioning waiting until next spring fearing the tree may not survive the coming winter. Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Satsuki quandry Empty Re: Satsuki quandry

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Why might the tree not survive the winter? Mine freeze in their pots every winter and do fine. Is it unhealthy?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Some information on where you live might be able to help us specifically answer questions.

Now is not the right time to disturb the roots! What you can do is take it out of the pot it is in (while not distrubing the root ball) and put it into a bigger pot, filling the empty spaces with new soil. DO NOT DISTURB THE ROOTS!!!!

Any pictures????? What soil do you use by chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 pm

My reading and experience has led me to the conclusion that it is best to repot Satsuki in spring, not after flowering as is commonly advised. This does mean sacrificing a years flowering, but is better for the tree. I've never lost a Satsuki due to root congestion.

Are you having problems with getting water into the rootball? If so I'd just make sure that the drainage holes are not impreded by roots and perhaps take out a small core of soil in a few places on the pot surface with a drill or similar.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Kev Bailey wrote:It is best to repot Satsuki in spring, not after flowering as is commonly advised. This does mean sacrificing a years flowering, but is better for the tree.

Very true statment. However like you said. If you repot a satsuki in early spring, than you can not let it flower that year. FLOWERING IS THE SECOND BIGGEST STRESS TO A SATSUKI. The tree will need to regain strength.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down