Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!!

4 posters

Go down

APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!! Empty APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!!

Post  Steven Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:47 am

So after 3 happy growing seasons living at my present home, it seems that I have now either created a lush buffet for insects or that I am doing something wrong....That and the lot behind my yard that was well maintained by the owners for the last three years has now been allowed to grow freely creating what seems to be a breeding ground for all kinds of things which are quickly discovering my yards tasty delights......

So my spring started with plague of ants that brought with them a swarm of aphids (managed problems solved and addressed thanks to input on the forums, unfortunately they made a huge dent in my maples before I got them all), quickly followed by a traveling herd of grasshoppers that were drawn to my plums in training (tossed a few dozen praying mantis in my garden and picked off a few dozen hoppers myself, problem solved before much damage was done), now today I notice some new yellowing of my leaves and curling only to find that apparently as the property management finally decided to clean up the surrounding properties, all their leafhoppers seem to have invaded my garden in mass quantities, on top of that I found about a half a dozen japanese beetles climbing around my japanese maples.........my head is starting to hurt

I have stocked my garden with lady bus and praying mantis, before doing this I generally used neem oil on the plants it can be used for, and spot treating with safer soaps if any problems arose .. I guess what I am getting at is that I need suggestions for treatment this year and a preventative plan next year, preferable one that is pet and people friendly or that wont melt my skin when spray lol. Thanks in advance.
Steven
Steven

Back to top Go down

APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!! Empty Re: APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!!

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm

The aphids probably brought the ants, but a hard spray of water usually takes care of aphids, or if it doesn't, a pyrethrin spray. That aside, none of the other insects will do more than cosmetic damage to your trees and there is no way to prevent their reoccurence.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!! Empty Re: APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, Grasshoppers, and JAPANESE BEETLES oh my!!!!!

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:01 pm

I feel for you, the more insects attack my garden, the more I am considering the more drastic measures and use commercial insecticide myself. To be honest, I don't even know some of the insects on my plants now. Evil or Very Mad
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Some times all you have to do is make your trees a little less desirable and the insects will move on to other food sources.
Here are a couple tricks I have used, most come organic gardening practices.
Diatomaceous earth, mix about a teaspoon in a spray bottle and mist your trees. When the liquid dries
It will leave a deposit of DE when aphids come in contact with it they die, it is also great for
Catipillers or any leaf eaters. Caution the dust is toxic, use a face mask when handeling!
Peppermint oil , dip a Qtip in it and place it near the trunk the smell is hated by many insects mostly
Ants.
Moth balls, I place them in plastic soda pop tops perodicly around my benches works for many pest.

One of the best tips is to take a magnifying glass with you every morning and inspect the trees, especially under the leaves and new buds for any critters. When u find them early in the attack they are much easier to defend.

These are a few tricks I use down south where our tropic climate is famous for growing hordes of bugs!

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Mitch Thomas wrote:Diatomaceous earth, mix about a teaspoon in a spray bottle and mist your trees. When the liquid dries It will leave a deposit of DE when aphids come in contact with it they die, it is also great for Catipillers or any leaf eaters. Caution the dust is toxic, use a face mask when handeling!
Mitch,

Don't you think that the deposited fines on the leaves will become airborne eventually as they dry? This could potentially create a continues flying DE in your surrounding area. I read they are bad for your lungs...almost like asbestos.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Dario
At that diaminished levels No! Not much more than a day at the beach. Straight out of the bag, Yes, it is microscopically concentrated and must be handled accordingly. It's deffeniately safer than breathing any chemical mist overspray. To those that don't know DE is the microscopic skeletons of alge. The edges are extremely sharp. That's what kills pest it cuts thier soft tissue. To us to the touch it's safe, but in concentrate should be avoided.

It is a very effective deterrent usually needs to only be re applied twice a growing season.

Most effective on Crepe Myrtles. They are aphid magnets!

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down