Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wooden Training Pots... Cedar?

4 posters

Go down

Wooden Training Pots... Cedar? Empty Wooden Training Pots... Cedar?

Post  eugeniusgenx Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am

Has anyone used cedar for wooden training pots before? I got a bunch of gorgeous kiln dried untreated rough cedar given to me by my father in law, and wondered if its natural state could or would harm a tree growing in the pot. I have had a reaction to cedar and I hate getting cedar splinters. I have worked with it quite a bit (I am/was a carpenter for years) and heard it is somewhat toxic (the oil I think Suspect )
Something to note, I live in PEI Canada, and I am not kidding, there are not even those short terracota pots that many use for training. Nothing plastic either. All of my larger Yamadori I have been getting are in wooden pots I made.

So back to the original question, could untreated cedar boards be ok for home made training pots? Confused

eugeniusgenx

Back to top Go down

Wooden Training Pots... Cedar? Empty Re: Wooden Training Pots... Cedar?

Post  Marty Weiser Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:08 am

Cedar will work fine for training boxes. I find that it starts to rot out after a couple of years if not treated. I coat mine with a preservative/wood stain - sometimes 2 coats and let it dry in the sun for a week or two before use. That extends the life a quite a bit. I have some that are 10 years old that have been brushed clean, dried, and restained every 2-3 years when empty.

I forgot to mention that I use coarse screen (hardware cloth) in the bottoms of the boxes. That gives great drainage and also also eliminates the place where wood rots out the fastest.

Last edited by Marty Weiser on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:40 pm

That's what I should've done to my pine boxes I made this spring. Good idea Marty!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:54 am

Cedar boxes from fence boards...Yeah they are great. If you put ears on them on opposing sides it is easy to pick them up
cheers

Good luck with them
Wooden Training Pots... Cedar? Bonsai10
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down