Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Identifying Maple?

2 posters

Go down

Help Identifying Maple? Empty Help Identifying Maple?

Post  Josh S. Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 am

I saw these Maples in different areas 30 miles apart. I've looked around and the only maples I'm thinking it resembles is a Trident Maple (Acer buergerianum). The Trident only because the leaves are mostly three lobed and small in size. The shoots or leaf vein is red and I don't think Acer buergerianum's is red. I know it might not be time of year to transplant Maples so I'm really just wondering what type they are.
I cut this off for identifying but it has stayed alive in water now for 2 weeks.
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0931
Same tree up close
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0932
Different tree different location has survived in pot for three weeks.
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0933
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0934
The tree in pot came from a group like this
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0935
And like this
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0936
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0937
Very mature version farther back away from water
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0938
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0939

Josh S.
Josh S.

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying Maple? Empty Re: Help Identifying Maple?

Post  Josh S. Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:31 am

Just for more examples. Most these trees are very similar but do have differences. Regardless they all have small leaves and would make a good specimen I think.
Different group
Help Identifying Maple? Img_0941Help Identifying Maple? Img_0942
Josh S.
Josh S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 am

Josh, that's Acer rubrum, our native red maple. There is lots of variation, and they can be tricky bonsai subjects. Randy Davis posted his in the main forum, "red maple flowering" or something like that. It's probably on the second or third page, but you can use the search bar to find it too.

Last edited by Russell Coker on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh S. Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:01 am

Aren't the red maple more jagged around edges, and mostly five lobed.
Josh S.
Josh S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:10 am

Actually, I'm more used to seeing three lobes. Remember, there's LOTS of variation.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh S. Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 am

The pic you posted in the "flowering Red Maple" forum, was that at the nursery and is the tree "gold nugget," or is that the nursery? I remember seeing the trees last fall, the trees I posted had crazy colors ranging from bright yellow to bright orange.
Josh S.
Josh S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 am

Those pictures where taken at the botanical gardens here in Mobile. There are 3 or 4 of them there. The nursery that grew it, I assume the original was a seedling selection, is Panhandle growers in Milton. I'm pretty sure it's their tree and they named it 'gold nugget'. When I saw John back in January I asked if they were growing it and he said they hadn't in years. Red maples can be problematic landscape trees, and after Ivan and Katrina most of the non natives (as in non local stock) were attacked by borers and are still dying off. 'October Glory' was especially hard hit. These at the gardens are very stout, sturdy trees with absolutely no problems, so I'm hoping they'll reconsider it. I don't recommend Acer rubrums to my clients anymore, but I would if I could get this one. It's actually hard to find someone growing the local trees these days, everyone wants a named one like 'Oct Glory', but they just don't do well down here.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down