Updates for the Eastern US

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Updates for the Eastern US

Post  Nina on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi Guys! No one has any problems? I wonder why- because the Eastern United States is suffering a number of plant disease epidemics because of the cool wet spring. You may have heard that "late blight" is wiping out the tomato crop. Late blight is the disease that caused the great Irish potato famine of the 1840s. The famine caused a million Irish to starve to death and caused a million to emigrate (out of a total population of 6 million). Well, late blight occasionally causes epidemics in the US, but usually late in the season- it's never shown up this early.

Luckily, few of us still have any of those "potato bonsai" still hanging around!

However, this has been a horrible year for cedar apple rust: currently I'm seeing lesions on apple plants I've never seen showing symptoms. Therefore, next spring I expect to see a lot of galls on my junipers. If any of you are deathly afraid of this, you should spray your junipers with a fungicide NOW.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Re: Updates for the Eastern US

Post  Kev Bailey on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Thanks Nina.

My first early potatoes are showing signs of blight. And I've got fireblight in some of my Pyracantha. One of those years?

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:05 am

Happily, yes; it's doubtful that next year will be like this.

I forgot to mention fire blight- caused by a pathogenic bacterium. I was stunned to have my medlar tree up and die from fire blight; one week it showed a little foliar browning, the next week it was gone. I have a quince with mild symptoms, and I will have to carefully prune off affected twigs (sterilizing my pruning tool after each cut) to try to save it.

The reason potato blight was so devastating for the Irish is that very few cultivars existed, and the ones the Irish had were susceptible. Now there are many resistant cultivars; resistant to race one of the pathogen, that is. A decade ago race two showed up in the US and caused problems. From what I've heard, this current epidemic is of race one, and potatoes aren't in as much in danger as tomatoes. Usually the tomato harvest is almost over before the pathogen shows up, but this year the pathogen has showed up freakishly early.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:06 pm

I was wondering. Tomatoes are a major crop around here, and there've been several fields where there has been no picking, while others are being picked almost every day. Does this blight affect the plants or the fruit, because all the plants look healthy?

All the tomatoes in our garden seem fine -- and yummy!

I just cut down a Washington Hawthorn in my yard. It got fireblight badly for the last several years, and I didn't want it spreading to my bonsai which are on the other side of the house from the haw. Cedar apple rust is a regular occurence here.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:21 am

All tender tissue can be affected by late blight, but especially fruit (in tomatoes) and tubers (in potatoes). In a bad year, the entire potato plant will *melt*.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:27 am

Nina - You provide such a necessary resource, Thank you!

I live on the opposite side of the continent from the “Eastern US,” and from my experience we’ve had just the opposite of a “cool wet spring” (which is generally to be expected in our fog belt…) But I have had infestations at unusual levels that I have attributed (wrongly or rightly) to the warm and sunny weather (read drought if you like.) (Perhaps the emerging El Nino phenomenon will provide a respite?) In a typical year I will get some occurrence of damage from Fruittree leafroller (Archips argyrospila) but it is usually minor and can be easily controlled with hand-picking the larvae, but this year!!! Every tree which is not a conifer has been attacked. The only positive thing is I don’t need to worry about midseason defoliation!

I am saddened to hear that Late Blight has struck again. We can only hope that its consequences are not as history-altering as those previously. I have a rather voyeuristic fascination with plant pathologic impacts on human history. In this era of global species infestations, I fear my fascination will be greatly indulged.

Thank you again for the services you provide to this bonsai forum,
David Brunner

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  RandiSharp on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Nina,
My chinese quince struggled with apple rust through the summer and and I did spray during early summer. Should I be spraying again prior to putting the tree up for the winter? If so what do you suggest. I'm in zone7b Virginia.

Thanks,
Randi

RandiSharp

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:59 am

Nina wrote:However, this has been a horrible year for cedar apple rust: currently I'm seeing lesions on apple plants I've never seen showing symptoms. Therefore, next spring I expect to see a lot of galls on my junipers. If any of you are deathly afraid of this, you should spray your junipers with a fungicide NOW.
Nina: What fungicide do you recommend for junipers in this situation?

Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum