Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suiban in Denmark

+4
stonener
trantanhung_nt
Billy M. Rhodes
Gwyther
8 posters

Go down

Suiban in Denmark Empty Suiban in Denmark

Post  Gwyther Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi

I've just received this picture from Morten Albek to show me how he used one of my Suiban.

Suiban in Denmark Morten10

Cheers

Vic Smile
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Suiban in Denmark Empty Re: Suiban in Denmark

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Interesting way that the glaze on the container blends with the sand to blur the edge of the container.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am

Hello Mr. Gwyther ,
A SUIBAN that you make is very nice with me .
I think : Suiban for this stone become more wide and more elongate ... ( 150 / 100 ) .
Thank you very much .
Sincerely ,
Hưng - Trần .

Last edited by trantanhung_nt on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Suiban in Denmark Empty looks better

Post  stonener Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

Hey Hung, One picture=thousand words!... study
The proportions are better, stone size to suiban size,
stone placement and direction are better,
colors blend well, white is difficult to use well.
sand is at right level, soft and natural looking,
again white sand is difficult to use, hard on the eye.
this is a very elegant and harmonious display... Suspect
But also understand you use your suiban more for general porpoises,
not formal display, very hard to have one specially for each stone.
main difference from daiza, one on each stone, suiban one can use for many stones... Basketball

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Gwyther

I have been looking at the display a coupple of times now...And I think it is a perfect example of a "every good intention" gone allwrong.

Sorry...Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Billy
Yes i agree, i thought similar when i received the picture.

Hi Hung-Tran
Thank you for the kind words regarding my Suiban Smile and thank you for the advice, i will pass this on to Morten and hopefully he will read this thread.

Hi Stonener
Thank you for your opinion and kind words Smile

Hi Yvonne
No need to apologise, i made the Suiban not the display. However i would be interested (and i'm sure Morten would also) to know the reasons behind your statement ?

Cheers
Vic Smile
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi Gwyther

I found it a bit strange to reply on your shown display, as it was not yours...but then again, you vere given an order, and did what you did...

I also did what I did, an gave a reply, wich I maybe not should have done, as Morten is not a even a member.

I have an opinion, but Morten will have to sign in, and ask me, as I dont want to speak " about" other people on a open forum.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:02 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Gwyther

I found it a bit strange to reply on your shown display, as it was not yours...but then again, you vere given an order, and did what you did...

I also did what I did, an gave a reply, wich I maybe not should have done, as Morten is not a even a member.

I have an opinion, but Morten will have to sign in, and ask me, as I dont want to speak " about" other people on a open forum.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hello Yvonne

I'm really not sure what you find strange ? Morten sent me the picture and said that he was happy for me to show the picture, so i thought i would show it here as i was pleased with the way my Suiban had been used and wanted to see if other people also liked it or not.
This suiban was not made specifically for this stone it was simply on my website, off the shelf so to speak.
You seem to be a little defensive, i'm sorry if i have offended you,i certainly didn't mean to, i was simply interested to hear your reasons because they may have been useful to me when i make suiban in the future, critism is a good tool to learn from and i'm always trying to improve Smile
However that is fine if you don't want to tell me that is your prerogative and i respect that. I was simply trying to improve my future work.
Actually Morten Albek is a member of this forum and i have told him that i have posted his display here.

Regards
Vic Smile
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:11 pm

My concern would not be the Suiban but how the stone is displayed. I have much less experience or knowledge than Yvonne, but the display also struck me as off, I just don't have the knowledge to say why.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:13 pm

In my opinion the size of the suiban is a little small. But I love the display. They compliment each other
very well. It is a lot nicer than a lot others shown on this site. but we all have our own way of seeing
beauty

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi Gwyther

I am not defensive, and certainly not offended, how could I be that?, no reason at all Smile . But it is a problem to me, to speak about other people work, unless I shortly agre to a reply, or I can say something possitive ( recommend) a another persons work very short.
Morten is a guest, signed out......

I wished you had placed the suiban alone in the topic pots, then I may have given you a reply.

But now we speak...I am not kean on suibans without legs.
All the other things is about the suiban and stone together. Morten will have to ask.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Greetings,

The stone is wonderful...the suiban is awesome; but as Billy said, something "is off"! Could it be the color or texture of the sand? If this was my display I'd experiment with a tan colored sand and perhaps see how the other side of the suiban looks with the stone.

Also the level of the sand should be raised to the lip of the suiban and be perfectly level from front to back. In Japan this function of sand placement is achieved by using wet sand to the top and then placing the stone in the suiban with adjustments made to the sand around the stone.

Best regards,
Norma

Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Suiban in Denmark Empty Thank you your riches sharing ...

Post  trantanhung_nt Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 am

Hello Mr . Gwyther ,
and My Friends - Members IBC Forum ,
Thanks Mr. Gwyther and all . I also who learned so many deportment to display Stone - scene here ...
Thank experience on your riches sharing very much .
Regards ,
Hưng - Trần .
( _ Sorry , I want to send this comment TO topic " Suiban of Denmark " . Please help me .
Thank you very much .
Hưng - Trần )

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:14 am

Thank you your riches sharing ...
trantanhung_nt Today at 5:58 am

.Hello Mr . Gwyther ,
and My Friends - Members IBC Forum ,
Thanks Mr. Gwyther and all . I also who learned so many deportment to display Stone - scene here ...
Thank experience on your riches sharing very much .
Regards ,
Hưng - Trần .
( _ Sorry , I want to send this comment TO topic " Suiban of Denmark " . Please help me .
Thank you very much .
Hưng - Trần ).

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:45 am

Thankyou Yvonne and all Friends - Members IBC Forum ,
I see in this topic , everybody evenly reasonably at remarks and their sharing ...
Thank for your help - Yvonne .
Sincerely ,
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am

Hi Vic,
your pot "suiban' is great wish i had your talent. the stone is great but i agree with norma sand color should be tan or dark beige yellow the pot should be a little bit longer and i would display stone offcentered.
Thanks for sharing keep it up
Regards,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi All

Billy, Bug eye, Norma, Hung Tran and Alex, thank you for your constructive comments, they are interesting and useful and thanks for the kind words regarding the suiban ! Smile

Cheers
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I am not defensive, and certainly not offended, how could I be that?, no reason at all Smile . But it is a problem to me, to speak about other people work, unless I shortly agre to a reply, or I can say something possitive ( recommend) a another persons work very short.
Morten is a guest, signed out......

I wished you had placed the suiban alone in the topic pots, then I may have given you a reply.

But now we speak...I am not kean on suibans without legs.
All the other things is about the suiban and stone together. Morten will have to ask.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hello Yvonne

That is good, because i really did not mean any offense when i asked you to explain on your reasons, it really was just in the interest of learning Smile . Criticism is very useful but only when the reasons for the criticism are explained and then those reasons can be discussed and assessed for their validity.

Morten sent this picture to me to show me how he had used my suiban, which was great because i really like to see how my work is used and i found the display pleasing and still do.. He also said that he was happy for me to use the picture if i wanted to. So i decided to show it on my facebook page and here.

Yesterday when i said that Morten was a member, i didn't realise that was no longer the case.

I decided to show the picture here because i thought that being as it was a suiban with a stone this would be the best place to get feedback from people that know about this subject rather than from other potters as is often the case in the pots forum.

This suiban does have feet although they are quite shallow and subtle feet. Thank you for your remark, perhaps i will make some suiban with more prominent feet. This is exactly the kind of feed back i was looking for.

I have discussed this with Morten and here is his reply which i found very interesting. He has given me his permission to show it here -
I am glad to see the stone in your beautiful Suiban in my garden. I like the texture and feeling of the Suiban, and that's why i bought it. I am far from being any expert of this area, and have this stone arranged in a way I personally like it. It gives me a good feeling and a mood of a quiet island with blue water and waves reflected in the tray. I have been looking for a Japanese Suiban, but did not find any with this expression.
The sand may seem too white in a photograph but I think it works well in real life (maybe I change the sand colour if I stumble upon a better colour some day, who knows ,-)
It was solely arranged acording to my taste, and that's what counts, because it is for my own pleasure that I arranged it this way. Not for any competition, exhibition or anything else. Just as a informal stone arrangement reminding me of Japan were I have good memories from, as well as the area at the sea were I spend my childhood (and the sand looked like this at the beach). It works both ways for me, and maybe just for me.
Should anybody else visiting my garden like it, that´s good too.
The slightly raised Suiban with gentle feet's supports the stone well, so I am a happy man with it, and i am enjoying it in my garden.

Regards
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi Gwyther

I am happy, you have a happy customer.

And I can only blame my self for replying on this topic in the first place, I must be more carefull next time. It is not right for me to speak about one persons work ( display) with a another person, but you made the suiban, and I got a bit confused..

Had you shown your suiban alone under "pots" , would it have been diffrent.
Have you shown a stone under "suiseki" and asked...How should a suiban for this stone look like, would it have been a compleetely diffrent story.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Suiban in Denmark Empty look again closely

Post  stonener Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:50 am

Can not fix! what is not broken!
Well balanced in every way... Suspect
Design on edge of Suiban seen as Ocean waves, perfect!
Smaller size suiban near Island view, Larger suiban distant view,
Color of sand! natural beach color, clean, smooth and leveled, perfect!
Placement of stone, off center, both directions, front to back!,
and right to left also!, even depth and height of stone, perfect!
Stone direction of movement to the right, open space same, perfect!
All colors, sand, stone, suiban, glazing complement each other, perfect!
I would be proud to exhibit this... cyclops

Last edited by stonener on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : +)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 am

I am happy, you have a happy customer.

And I can only blame my self for replying on this topic in the first place, I must be more carefull next time. It is not right for me to speak about one persons work ( display) with a another person, but you made the suiban, and I got a bit confused..

Had you shown your suiban alone under "pots" , would it have been diffrent.
Have you shown a stone under "suiseki" and asked...How should a suiban for this stone look like, would it have been a compleetely diffrent story.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

Thank you Smile

There is no blame involved, you simply stated your opinion and i asked you to explain, really it is all fine Smile
I'm sorry that i confused you, i should of explained right at the beginning that i was looking for feed back regarding the suiban.

As i said it seemed logical to me to post the picture here, perhaps i should of posted it in the pot forum.

Regards
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Stonener

Thanks Smile

I haven't made many suiban but i'm thinking of making some more because i quite enjoyed it, this is why i was looking for some feed back.
I also think that if i learn about Suiseki then maybe this will improve my suiban.

Cheers
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi Gwyther

We will talk an another day Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I very much appreciate, the respectful tone of all the conversations here. how civilized! As an avid chatline follower of many Japanese hobbies, it doesn't often play out the same way.

I have spent a lifetime of study on hobbies from Japan. If i've learnd anything it is that we all start out learning
as best we can what is considered best in Japan, and then our own culture and personalities begin to form and we're lead in slightly different directions.

I think that's healthy.

dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:29 am

Hello

Yvonne i hope so Smile

Dick
Sadly i have noticed the same thing many times, in such cases i simply do not participate, as an adult i can't see any reasons why a topic can not be discussed in a polite manner and points of view should be respected and discussed whether seen as correct or not, anything else is simply childish bickering.

Thanks that is a very interesting point and very close to my own feelings.

Regards
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down