Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe

+27
Peter E.
harry dovey
Pavel Slovák
Andy Hardman
anttal63
bonsaistud
gordonb
bumblebee
tom tynan
yamadoriman
bigsteve
MartinSweeney
Velodog2
Stone Monkey
Jay Gaydosh
fiona
Jeremy
Mario Stefano
Ian Warhurst
Jerry Meislik
Jaco Kriek
Klaudia & Martin
ybonsai
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
mr treevolution
JimLewis
31 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh beauty is a bit sloe

Post  Jeremy Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi Will,
I like what you have achieved with this tree very much.

But, Embarassed ,have you considered removing some of the lower branches. Reducing the visual weight to make the tree look further away and a much larger image. I feel it would give the b'thorn a "better" tree image. A better scale.
Becoming a b'thorn tree and less a b'thorn bush.
Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Img_0610
Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Img_0611
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:44 pm

I must admit, I love Will's original version but I am very attracted to Jerry's revision. What a pity he can't have both!

Would like to see the Jerry amendment in leaf - might even put my newly-acquired but very basic photoshop skills to use. I shall post it in about, oh, say, probably ten days! Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:01 pm

fiona wrote:Would like to see the Jerry amendment in leaf - might even put my newly-acquired but very basic photoshop skills to use. I shall post it in about, oh, say, probably ten days! Very Happy

Something like this?

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Wills-10

Come to my FREE Photoshop 'virtual bonsai' workshop at Joy Of Bonsai in March and learn how to do this in 5 minutes. bounce

Fiona... Don't you just hate a smart arse.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Tony wrote: Something like this? (very average pic attached)
Pah! What took you so long? I finished mine ages ago!

Tony wrote: Come to my FREE Photoshop 'virtual bonsai' workshop at Joy Of Bonsai in March and learn how to do this in 5 minutes.
Last time you said "Come to my FREE..." to me I seem to remember ending up doing the catering and dishing out vast quantities of beer. Rolling Eyes

Tony wrote: Fiona... Don't you just hate a smart arse. Tony
I suspect those who know us will say it takes one to know one Laughing

Seriously though, nice image and possibly, just possibly, shifts the balance to the side of Jerry's amendment. But as I said before, some of would kill to have both versions on our benches.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi,
The b'thorn might be grown to show when in flower. So the more branch option would probably be the better one.

S'pose the trick is to have at least two b'thorns. one grown for the flowers and one grown for the foliage. Twisted Evil
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:01 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hi Jaco. The whitish flecks are glaze on the pot. I make my own pots,winter time. Pots i make dont always come out as i intend . when this one came out of the kiln ithought it suited the rough bark and the white flowers.

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Img_0121

Big, BIG mistake! Not the pot, it has character. Never, undersell your product. Instead, say something like, "It was experimental, I was looking to match the surface of the pot with the rough texture of the tree bark."

"Pots I make don't always come out as I intended", sounds too much like "I'm a newbie at making pottery and this one I screwed up." Either way, you ended up with a nice pot that fits the tree.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 pm

[quote="Jay Gaydosh]

Big, BIG mistake! Not the pot, it has character. Never, undersell your product. Instead, say something like, "It was experimental, I was looking to match the surface of the pot with the rough texture of the tree bark."

"Pots I make don't always come out as I intended", sounds too much like "I'm a newbie at making pottery and this one I screwed up." Either way, you ended up with a nice pot that fits the tree.[/quote]
Sorry Jay but I can't do the Billy Bulls##t thing! I am a newbie, at making pots but, no I did'nt screw it up....Just not sure how to do it again. If I had come out with the bull and then someone asked me to make one for them, my arse would be going like a rabbits nose affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:44 pm

will baddeley wrote:[quote="Jay Gaydosh]

"Pots I make don't always come out as I intended", sounds too much like "I'm a newbie at making pottery and this one I screwed up." Either way, you ended up with a nice pot that fits the tree.
Sorry Jay but I can't do the Billy Bulls##t thing! I am a newbie, at making pots but, no I did'nt screw it up....Just not sure how to do it again. If I had come out with the bull and then someone asked me to make one for them, my arse would be going like a rabbits nose affraid[/quote]

Hey, you're one up on me, I'm not even a newbie pot maker. Although I did make an ashtray in summer camp around 45 years ago. If I started pottery now I would be out in the streets.

I am a newbie bagpiper (11 years), a newbie wine maker (5 years), a newbie bonsai enthusiast (7 years), a newbie blacksmith (30 years), a newbie cabinet maker (2 years), but I am an acomplished refiner of recycled vegetable oil (5 years); OH, and a newbie veggie car mechanic (5 years). AND, A Master Smart Ass! Rolling Eyes

You've heard of a Jack-of-All-Trades (master of none!)? Well, I'm a Jac-of-All-Trades... a few more years and I'll earn the "k"!

Until then, it's study study study lol!

But... it's still a cool pot!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 pm

Will

I am like that every time someone asks me to make them a pot affraid Wink

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Why oh why, is it so much easier to deal with other peoples trees? I suppose it has something to do with detatchment. When I used to run workshops, I could be quite ruthless with other peoples material[ with permission]. I have tried on several occasions to reduce the bottom branches on this Sloe, but when I get anywhere near with the branch cutters, my hand starts to shake, my heart starts to race. sweat beads on my brow[ insert Wills large brow jokes here] and I have to go lie down for half an hour Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:21 pm

will baddeley wrote: I have tried on several occasions to reduce the bottom branches on this Sloe, but when I get anywhere near with the branch cutters, my hand starts to shake, my heart starts to race. sweat beads on my brow
I absolutely HATE to think what's going on with that other part of your anatomy you mentioned earlier when all this lot is going on!!! affraid
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Sorry Fiona, that was FAR too much detail Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Yep. You're probably right. Tell you what - you drop the anatomical descriptions from the otherwise interesting and very bonsai-related topic.

And I'll try to erase the word "puckering" and its accompanying mental image from my head. Laughing bounce
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Jay, sounds very similar to my life. Newbie roof thatcher.. 25 yrs. Newbie community punishment supervisor...10yrs. newbie wine and Sloe jin maker, 9yrs. Newbie bonsai fanatic...12yrs.Newbie wood carver...7yrs. Newbie bail hostel supervisor...1yr. Newbie pot maker..Iyr.
Keep soaking up that information Jay, life's too short. Very pleased you liked the pot by the way Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:02 pm

I'm afraid I also prefer the virtuals. But the tree as it stands is undeniably very nice, and I can understand your reluctance to cut off those perfectly good branches. I have a crape myrtle that would probably eventually look better in one of several possible cut-down versions, but I persist in following my original styling plan just to see how it works out. I can always cut in the future as long as the tree lives. Take your time.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:03 pm

Good advice. ThumbsUp
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:04 pm

And i thought there may have been some more here on your slow sloe Will!
Breathe in, less puckering and hows the tree?

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:13 pm

Will:

I started working on a Masters Degree in Communication, got about 2 classes and an internship short of graduating and decided (or discovered) that I would never see a promotion, payraise or even a bonus. At that point I started studying the stuff that makes old fogies smile (yeah, that too!). The wife agrees that I could be drinking, and hanging around Tiger Woods friends, so I'm better off with a slew of "hobbies".

As for the "fear of pruning", I suffered from a major complex regarding the removal of precious limbs of several trees; and, everything I cut off I wanted to try and root. It took some coaxing from members of this forum and a nice Cotoneaster to get me to take the leap. It was a bush with one primary trunk (about 36 inches tall). It is now about 6 inches tall and sleeping nicely. Although, I must confess, I managed to root several of the larger branches by simply shoving them into bonsai mix and keeping watered all summer.

These little trees can really mess with our heads...if we let them!
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:35 pm

This little Sloe, has been selected for a show, at Bath in the Spring, as it is. Maybe i'll find the courage to remove those branches afterwards?[ Wink

Back to top Go down

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Empty See you there.

Post  Jeremy Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:56 pm

will baddeley wrote:This little Sloe, has been selected for a show, at Bath in the Spring, as it is. Maybe i'll find the courage to remove those branches afterwards?[ Wink

Hi Will,
Congrats of the selection. My mugo is on the list.

Removing large branches on a b'thorn, I think, should not be done this time of year. Die back can be an issue.

We'll need an IBC members group picture at the JOY of Bonsai show at Bath then.
Who else will be attending and on which day?
How about fixing a time / day / place for such a picture? Tony, ths is your area I think. Wink
If we can't all get together at the same time, maybe you could do a virtual group picture Twisted Evil
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:21 am

Jeremy wrote:
will baddeley wrote:This little Sloe, has been selected for a show, at Bath in the Spring, as it is. Maybe i'll find the courage to remove those branches afterwards?[ Wink

Hi Will,

Removing large branches on a b'thorn, I think, should not be done this time of year. Die back can be an issue.

How about fixing a time / day / place for such a picture? Tony, ths is your area I think. Wink
If we can't all get together at the same time, maybe you could do a virtual group picture Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:24 am

Hey Will. Is it just my screen or is there a bit missing off that last post?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Welsh beauty is a bit sloe - Page 2 Empty See you there.

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:40 am

Jeremy wrote:

Hi Will,

If there's a group photo,and with our high hairlines, I think Tony's got his work cut out with the lighting. Really looking forward to meeting you though. Very Happy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:47 am

Heck Will we can wear hats. Laughing santa jocolor geek farao king
The first pint is on me. ThumbsUp
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinSweeney Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:02 am

Will,

Thanks for the look at the Sloe without leaves. It is much appreciated. The work you have done on this tree is even better than I thought it was going to be.

Like you, I am torn between leaving the branches and the change virtualized by Jeremy and Tony and agreed to by others. I understand the reluctance to cut off branches that represent possibly many years of effort and work to achieve. I must admit that when I have received advise to remove branches that I was clinging to, that the tree was better off once they were removed.

Thankfully, either way your tree is a beauty. I can see where more branches could yield a better show of flowers. Is that part of your reluctance to remove some of the lower branches?

Thanks again for sharing. Regards,
Martin

MartinSweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next