Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wood plays second fiddle

4 posters

Go down

wood plays second fiddle Empty wood plays second fiddle

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:26 am

kauai bonyu kai is preparing for our summer exhibit of "fine bonsai-kauai style" so working on bonsai takes precedence over stands. had a couple of koa root stands and a small ohia stand roughed out-which somehow got finished in the midst of bonsai prep. the bigger koa oval is 17.5x11"x1.5". the roundish koa measures 13"x12"x1.5" and the little ohia measures out at 5.5"x4.5"x.5". the color and grain of our native koa is so beautiful. each piece is different. all gorgeous. befores and afters

best wishes, sam

wood plays second fiddle Dsc03511
wood plays second fiddle Dsc03512
wood plays second fiddle Dsc03513[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?
i=1964&u=15061647]wood plays second fiddle Dsc03514[/url]wood plays second fiddle Dsc03515wood plays second fiddle Dsc03516wood plays second fiddle Dsc03517

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

wood plays second fiddle Empty Re: wood plays second fiddle

Post  John Brocklehurst Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Nice work Sam.
I hope the show goes well.
Regards
John

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:40 pm

thanks, john

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Sam,

One thing i have noticed with your roots stands, as well as in those made by the other gentleman: absence of rounded growth rings in the top. In order to make your creations more credible, i sugget you pay attention to this minute, but very important detail. Quality root stands, when viewed from the top, exhibit the tree's growth rings, giving us a hint of the formwer trunk that used to be over those twisted roots. Also, perhaps the gaps can be varied in sizes in order to avoid a uniform pattern.

Just my contribution.

Regards,

Carlos

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 pm

thanks for the suggestion, carlos. I appreciate it. the absence of growth rings is explained by the fact that the stands start with milled lumber. unavailable for the most part (to me, anyway) is a dependable/affordable/properly dried, source of thin cut quality wood-which has been cut across the grain. to think about about varying the size and shape of the holes is something I must train myself to do. without thinking about it as the holes area being formed-they end up looking pretty much alike.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:36 pm

carlos wrote:Sam,
exhibit the tree's growth rings, giving us a hint of the former trunk that used to be over those twisted roots.

Regards,

Carlos

Hi carlos - you probably know this but these types of 'root' stands do not have any root wood at all in them, they are formed from a solid lump of wood drilled and chiseled to copy the rare and very expensive true oriental root stands. I have seen pictures of very realistic root stands being newly made in Japan from real dried roots that are entwined with each other, bonded, carved and smoothed so the joins are not visible. Once they are stained the stand looks perfect - this may be the way all the root stands were made ?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down