Bonsai Judging

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bonsai Judging

Post  Guest on Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 pm

What do Bonsai Judges do and look for in a tree in an exhibit/competition?

I've been reviewing this matter for weeks now...Because a nice fella will put me in a very awkward spot 2 days from now in a foreign country. Confused

Other than the basic knowledge of judging and the criteria involved in it, Is there anything else that you "older" (more experienced) guys might want to share.
This will be a whole new game for me,,,and I want to do it fairly and with utmost sincerity....So please,,,,,,,,,HELLLLLPPPP! hehehe.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bonsai Judging

Post  Robert Steven on Mon May 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Don't be so serious Jun, we are not going to use scoring method, but using the eliminating method; so just use your common sense from what you learn from my book. I will give you some tips.. Laughing

See you tomorrow, I will arrive late afternoon.

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon May 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Don't be so serious Jun, we are not going to use scoring method, but using the eliminating method; so just use your common sense from what you learn from my book. I will give you some tips.. Laughing

See you tomorrow, I will arrive late afternoon.

So, that is your tip? "Don't be so serious"----That,,, I can do. I'll see you tomorrow. And many thanks!

But let us hear from some folks too.... "We" seriously need to learn the proper way of judging (you know what I mean Sad ).

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler on Wed May 30, 2012 12:15 am

That's easy-whoever offers the biggest bribe gets the best prize:)

Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Wed May 30, 2012 7:27 am

hi Jun,
As it is not a scored judging I feel you need to judge the trees in front of you to your own personal taste - you will know straight away if the overall tree image is mature and pleasing, if the methods used to create the tree were done well, and if tree and pot (rocks) work together. I think the first question should always be 'is the composition properly mature and ready to be there'.

I think it is a mistake for you to try and judge like Robert will, or anyone else....you are there for your own unique thinking and opinion, not just to double up as a clone of another judge. - certainly take inspiration from others but add it to your own tastes, rather than letting it replace them.

enjoy the event and learn from it

cheers Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:32 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum