trident leaf problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 4:35 am

Hi everyone please be gentle this is my first post and question, I purchased a trident maple and it seemed healthy I ferlize every other week with shultz soluable, the tree is in full sun all day ( so i suspect leaf sunburning ) The problem is the new growth at the tips of almost all the branches, the leaves start to develope but then curl up and turn black. should this tree be in partial shade at miday when the sun is direct? Any help would be great Thanks


Pictures below.....a couple posts down


Last edited by Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 am

Similar issue with my kiyohime maple Sad[img] image hosting adult[/img]


Last edited by dadshouse on Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Sun May 20, 2012 4:44 am

Chuck-815 wrote:Hi everyone please be gentle this is my first post and question, I purchased a trident maple and it seemed healthy I ferlize every other week with shultz soluable, the tree is in full sun all day ( so i suspect leaf sunburning ) The problem is the new growth at the tips of almost all the branches, the leaves start to develope but then curl up and turn black. should this tree be in partial shade at miday when the sun is direct? Any help would be great Thanks
do you have a pic?

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 4:50 am

Ill try to get a good one, I'll then have to read the sticky on posting a pick. might take a bit but I'll get one out here asap

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 5:26 am

I notice when taking the pictures some of the leaf tips are browning

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=9&u=17526615][/url

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Hi frien

Post  tap pi lu on Sun May 20, 2012 6:44 am

that's the problem at the roots, can be damaged because the fertilizers, drainage difficult

tap pi lu
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks checked roots nothing rotting, didnt comb it all out but roots looked healthy, too late to comb out and repot unless its an emergency situation. First I'll try watering a few times to rinse any extra fertilizers and drain it a couple times. The tree is not in its final pot but a planter and what soil I was able to get at without disturbing the roots too much I mixed in a whole bunch of pea gravel to help with drainage .... thanks .... hope this helps....


Last edited by Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  drgonzo on Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Looks like fertilizer "burn" (i.e.. Urea and/or nitrogen toxicity) The blackened new growth tip is a dead give away (forgive the terrible pun), compounded by over watering. Give it a flush with clean water then just leave it alone in some shade. When it dries out again give it clean water, don't fertilize again until you see several leaves worth of new growth. Move the tree to a spot where it will receive afternoon shade.

-Jay

drgonzo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Sun May 20, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks for the advice, I flushed it once today and rain coming tonight, tommorrow I will move it so it gets no water till dry. Keepin my fingers crossed

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Mon May 21, 2012 12:17 am

I promise I'm not trying to hijack your thread just figured probably a similar issue :)i so what do you guys think about the maple I posted? Fert.burn? Over watered? Soil is quite moist and was going to slippot and remove what potting soil i can and use bonsai soil to drain properly. Should I wait till it dries out first if so? Thanks-Mario

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Chuck-815 on Mon May 21, 2012 4:23 am

no problem dadshouse, enough room for everyone!

Chuck-815
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  lordy on Mon May 21, 2012 2:44 pm

It seems when those new to bonsai culture have problems, it comes from improper handling with respect to soil and watering/fertilizing. Many wish to accelerate growth because they want to see results quicker and end up with horticultural issues. If your trees are in potting soil or garden soil then you shouldnt water anywhere near as often as if the "soil" is the more granular bonsai variety.
My standard advice for situations of watering or fertilizing problems is to put the tree in the ground immediately and allow nature to heal the tree. Garden soil in the ground drains as it needs to and moderates the root temperatures better than in a pot. Fertilizing is not really needed, and the roots can get on with what they need to do. Do this and revisit next spring and the tree will likely be much happier then.

lordy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Mon May 21, 2012 4:45 pm

lordy wrote:It seems when those new to bonsai culture have problems, it comes from improper handling with respect to soil and watering/fertilizing. Many wish to accelerate growth because they want to see results quicker and end up with horticultural issues. If your trees are in potting soil or garden soil then you shouldnt water anywhere near as often as if the "soil" is the more granular bonsai variety.
My standard advice for situations of watering or fertilizing problems is to put the tree in the ground immediately and allow nature to heal the tree. Garden soil in the ground drains as it needs to and moderates the root temperatures better than in a pot. Fertilizing is not really needed, and the roots can get on with what they need to do. Do this and revisit next spring and the tree will likely be much happier then.
I agree with your advice completely but a good rainstorm is what over wattered it and as for fertilizer i was doing miracle grow once a month which i didnt think was to much :(we it said biweekly? Need yo train my wife to hold an umbrella over them haha Wink

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  lordy on Mon May 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Then I dont suspect watering is the issue. I think I can detect bonsai-type soil in the pics, albeit out of focus. And one rainstorm wont cause what you are experiencing. It should add a shot of N actually which would help green-up your tree.

lordy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Mon May 21, 2012 5:11 pm

lordy wrote:Then I dont suspect watering is the issue. I think I can detect bonsai-type soil in the pics, albeit out of focus. And one rainstorm wont cause what you are experiencing. It should add a shot of N actually which would help green-up your tree.
Ok shewwwww Wink actually mine is the kyiohime in the first pic and its still in a heavier soil and I was planning to repot into bonsai soil but with the leafs doing what they are I was a little nervous touching the roots.

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  lordy on Mon May 21, 2012 5:15 pm

dadshouse wrote:
lordy wrote:Then I dont suspect watering is the issue. I think I can detect bonsai-type soil in the pics, albeit out of focus. And one rainstorm wont cause what you are experiencing. It should add a shot of N actually which would help green-up your tree.
Ok shewwwww Wink actually mine is the kyiohime in the first pic and its still in a heavier soil and I was planning to repot into bonsai soil but with the leafs doing what they are I was a little nervous touching the roots.
Oops, my mistake. If still in garden soil, it may well be too wet all the time. I would seriously put it in the ground now. Dont disturb the roots, just put it in a hole a bit larger than the current pot and back fill gently. Try to have it in a location where the afternoon sun wont bake it. It looks like it could use some fattening up anyway.

lordy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  dadshouse on Mon May 21, 2012 5:40 pm

lordy wrote:
dadshouse wrote:
lordy wrote:Then I dont suspect watering is the issue. I think I can detect bonsai-type soil in the pics, albeit out of focus. And one rainstorm wont cause what you are experiencing. It should add a shot of N actually which would help green-up your tree.
Ok shewwwww Wink actually mine is the kyiohime in the first pic and its still in a heavier soil and I was planning to repot into bonsai soil but with the leafs doing what they are I was a little nervous touching the roots.
Oops, my mistake. If still in garden soil, it may well be too wet all the time. I would seriously put it in the ground now. Dont disturb the roots, just put it in a hole a bit larger than the current pot and back fill gently. Try to have it in a location where the afterno ThumbsUp on sun wont bake it. It looks like it could use some fattening up anyway.
Back in the ground she goes[img] hosting images[/img]

dadshouse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: trident leaf problem

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:51 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum