Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weeping hawthorn

4 posters

Go down

Weeping hawthorn Empty Weeping hawthorn

Post  JimLewis Wed May 16, 2012 4:43 pm

This was one of the 10 Arbor Day trees we got several years ago for joining. (I burned the two "Tree of Heaven" that came with it -- too damned invasive!).

It is a Washington Hawthorn. For scale, the pot is 18 inches wide, so a very large tree for me. Anyway, I dug it from where we had put it, as it was the wrong plant in the wrong place, and put it in a big pot then let it be for 3-4 years except for pinching ends. The danged thing grows like gangbusters (which is why it didn't fit where we had it).

When I finally looked at it again, it seemed to me that the trunk was too long and the branches came off it too high. I was about to chuck the whole thing when "weeping!" came to me (or maybe it was the 1.5 inch thorns that made me weep).

So in March I moved it into this plastic bonsai pot, and started wiring the heavy branches down.

Then it started to grow. I can barely keep up. The wires on the branches have extensions a hairdresser would envy.

This is my only hawthorn. Do all Crataegus grow wild like that? I'm cutting off more foliage than I'm wiring these days. And do other owners of Washington Hawthorn bonsai (if any) remove the thorns? They make wiring a misery when they're mature and a pain in the @%$# when they're not.

And comments whether this will work as a weeping tree will be appreciated.

Weeping hawthorn Weepin10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Weeping hawthorn Empty Re: Weeping hawthorn

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed May 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Jim
I have never seen a weeping hawthorn of any sorts. Yea why not looks like a good solution to me. Either that or air layer near the branches and have 2 trees. Or thread graft some braches lower.

Here we have createous marshalli, Parsly hawthorn. I trim off all thorns on it, but not to short beacaues there are latent advantageous buds at the base of each.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Fri May 18, 2012 2:05 am

I'm completely amazed you were sent an alien invasive species. There are state eradication programs for 'Tree of Heaven' (Ailanthus) here in Maryland.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm

A year (plus) later.
Weeping hawthorn 7-1310
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Weeping hawthorn Empty weeping hawthorn

Post  moyogijohn Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 am

JIM,, It is a nice tree in my opion.. why not do the weeping style with this one ?? it is a bigger tree than usual for you but it is a good tree.. how do you order those tree if you don,t mind.. Thanks,take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks, John. It is a Washington hawthorn, Crataegus phaenopyrum. Many nurseries carry it, and a web search should find several. There are scores of Crataegus species and MANY, MANY hybrids, natural and otherwise, since they seem to crossbreed so readily. Most of them may be better for bonsai than this one, but it is the one I had.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down