Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai

+2
Poink88
3man0n
6 posters

Go down

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Empty question about fruits on my native guava bonsai

Post  3man0n Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Here is my native guava bonsai. It do bear flowers but these do not develop into fruits, I tried commercial fruit booster but no success. Can anyone suggest what can I do?

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Gua10

Last edited by 3man0n on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
3man0n
3man0n

Back to top Go down

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Empty Re: question about fruits on my native guava bonsai

Post  Poink88 Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am

Welcome to IBC!

This have a very nice base...should make a wonderful bonsai in a few years. Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Empty Re: question about fruits on my native guava bonsai

Post  3man0n Thu May 17, 2012 12:19 pm

affraid
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy THANKS! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
affraid
3man0n
3man0n

Back to top Go down

Post  3man0n Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 am

How do I get fruit like this?
Guavas
question about fruits on my native guava bonsai 240px-10

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai 220px-11

Apple Guava (Psidium guajava)
3man0n
3man0n

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri May 18, 2012 4:58 pm

I wish I could help but yet again I am smitten with zone envy.

I am sure there are plenty folk who can answer your question though.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun May 20, 2012 2:26 am

You will probably have to get another guava tree so it can be cross-pollinated.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Empty replies!

Post  3man0n Sun May 20, 2012 11:18 am

I have 3 other apple guava trees near the location of the native guava bonsai, maybe I should manually cross pollinate it. Laughing
3man0n
3man0n

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon May 21, 2012 2:23 am

You probably need to get another tree of the same species.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 am

I just got a guava bonsai too.  A friend told me to manually pollinate, especially as mine is indoors, and here's a video on how it's done (another plant, but basics are the same) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tucIAxQ8kGg

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Wonderkeeper Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:19 am

Use  2 trees  of different varieties to make new kind of guava when cross them . However ,most  of  tropical guava flower have both Stamen ( male ) and Pistil ( female ) in the same flower, so you do not need 2 trees for the pollination. The problem is that the Pistil of tropical guava flower has stigma is way far out  than the anther of Stamen. If untouch ,then nothing will happen.  Insect would help do  the work of pollination. If not you can do hand pollination.  Watch it in action :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLlzI4SfzNE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAwVxOFnXVUf3IZmFslfB7g

at 04:15 in the video will show hand polination.   The clip show the hand pollination between different varieties  tree.   You can also do pollination from 1 flower to another flower in the same 1 tree. Good Luck.
Wonderkeeper
Wonderkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks, Wonderkeepeer !

I like your method better, I think, using tweezeers ...  You're right, the stigma is really far out on my guava tree ...

A glimpse of my guava tree deep behind the rest, will try to take a full picture later ... biggest leaves are already about 1 to 1.5 inch long ...

question about fruits on my native guava bonsai Guava-ASTR4411-1300x838

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Wonderkeeper Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm

You are welcome. Very beautiful and healthy leaves on your guava tree.
Wonderkeeper
Wonderkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  brett2013 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks, the place I got it from took care of it well, and did well in reducing the huge leaves to its current size.

I already see some flower buds developing, will definitely try out your technique.

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down