Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one

3 posters

Go down

Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one Empty Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one

Post  Bonsai Kas Mon May 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Hey guys.
I found this one in the corner at the local nursery for 50% off. It cost only €5,-. Even though I suspected it couldn't be much for that price I decided to take him home because the top foliage looked very healthy. After having prepped the new pot I pulled it out of it's container and my suspicions proved grounded. Allmost no good roots, obviously had been rotting and slowly dying in it's pot, soil completely collapsed and an ugly graft under the soil line. I hoped it would be good enough to repot, prune and lightly wire in one sitting. After taking it out of it's container I knew repotting and hoping it would survive was my only option.
So I did, gave it a good open soil mix, pruned some weak bottom branches to keep the sap flowing up and put it in a nice sunny corner with cover.
Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one P1010012
Before.
Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one Picea_10
Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one P1010013
After.
I hope someday it'll make a nice old rugged formal upright, I left most branches on to give me options if it survives.

What can I do best now?
Will it pull trough and what can I do best to help it?
Some basic advice about spruces would be greatly appreciated too Smile
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one Empty Re: Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one

Post  sunip Tue May 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Hello Kas.
Try the search option under Picea Conica.
There are some post there on Picea Conica.
A spruce with rotted roots in early spring is unlike other trees, not deadly but anyway it should make new feeder roots now.
Give it some time.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one Empty Re: Picea glauca 'conica' (white spruce). Step one

Post  PeacefulAres Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 pm

I have to say, I positively love your yard. It's so beautiful.
PeacefulAres
PeacefulAres

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai Kas Tue May 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Thank you very much.
It sortoff grew this way, my mother, and I after her, spent just the past thirty years leaving the nice plants that popped up and weeding the unwanted ones in between. It hardly takes anywhere near the amount of time I spend on my bonsai Smile
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down